icon

i have alternater noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shadrickl7 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I hade a friend install all my system and it sounded good, no alternator noise. Then i wanted to add a couple of tweeters in the back doors of my 04 silverado ext. cab. i watched him install it this time. he hooked up 4 6.5s and 2 tweeters, but he hooked it up like this. he took the + from the amp and ran it too the first speaker and the - of that speaker to the + of the next speaker and so on and then the - of the last speaker to the - of the amp.It was a two channel amp but he had it in bridged mode. when turning it on it made a really high pitched sound and wouldn't stop even after the key was turned off. so it all got unhooked and put back the way it was but now i got alternator noise.What could this be?THANKS IN ADVANCE.PLEASE HELP!
kickerL7
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

Ugghhh.  I wouldn't let your buddy work on your car if I was you.  It sounds like he's sending a mono signal out to all the speakers, which are all in series.  That means there's no stereo seperation, and the tweeters are playing the same frequencies as everything else.  Why would you add tweeters in the rear?  That would bring the sound more rearward, away from you.

I can't tell you for sure what's wrong, but it may be worth it to just hire a professional to install/setup your equipment properly to it's potential.  You'll be glad you did.  Have them bench test the equipment first to see what you can use, what needs to be replaced, or even what can be thrown out completely.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
vogey 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
in my own installs any time ive ever had alternator noise was because of the ground, are you sure its alternator noise? alternator noise will go up and down with the engine and all but disapear when you kill the engine, i used to run an old old old amp (so old the rca's where red and yellow) and if i tryed to run to low of ohms in bridged it would do ecataly what your describing.. it was a la sound i beleave my suggestion would be to run the 6.5's in parrell and sterio off the amp, and then the tweeters off the deck. but check your ground, and possibly the rca lines if you run them with the power lines some times you will pick up noise.
"I can see down your shirt" *its painted on the bottom of my f-250's door*
kory c 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
It may not be much help but I had the same problem with some amplified 6x9's and hooked up a noise filter and it made the noise disappear

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic