icon

Testing Amp channels

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought and installed a refurbished MTX 4004 4 channel amplifier for my front and rear speakers. I connected it straight to the factory speaker wires and my front speakers work fine but I have no sound in my rear speakers. I was thinking maybe the two channels for the rear weren't working; is there a way to test them?
Also, the four channel amp has inputs for the front and rear channels but my HU only has one output so I used them on the front. Could that be the problem? Should I run the RCAs to the front input, and run RCAs from the output on the amp to the rear input? the only problem I see from that is that I wouldn't be able to run a second amp for the subwoofers. Or should I just I run a signal converter from the front speaker wires to the rear inputs? I just want to make sure I exhaust every option before sending it back.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

i'm really not totaly clear on what you wrote. but what i think you said is that your using factory wiring for the output of the amp to the factory door speakers and you have one set of rca's from hu to amp input. but the amp has two inputs. there should be a switch for 2 channel and 4 channel operation on the amp. if it does switch it to 2 channel op. and you will internaly supply input to the other two channels but will lose the option of fade but will still have balance. if it does not you will either need the get a hu with front and rear output or get a y-adapter to get one male rca into two male rca. do that for both channels that you have and you get 4 channels of output.

if you want to check the operation of the rear channels use the front rcas and put the into the rear channels of the amp. you know that is a good source of audio and if the rear speaker dont work you most likly have a problem with the amp or there after.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
shaggy_one469 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
i would run a converter from the *rear* speaker wires to the rear inputs and that should solve the problem.   if not, try hooking up the front speakers to the rear outputs       and see if they still work.   if not, id return the amp. im am still kinda new to this so you dont have to take my advice but im confident that this will work.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

a converter is diffently a good option. i forgot to list that thank you for the correction. but if he switches the front speakers to the rear speaker channels he still has the problem of no audio supply to the rear channels. try the switch first and if it dont have one switch the rcas from the front input of the amp to the rear and you will have that good audio supply and if that work , then you can use one of the options list previously. convertor,hu with four channel output or y-adapter. the first two options are the best because you will have more control on the audio system fade and balance. 

if you do this and still don't have sound you will need to check the intgraty of the rear speaker curcuit. by taking the rear speaker wires and hooking them up to the front channel after disconnecting the fronts of course. because you know for sure that them two channels works. if so at that point then you can say that amp is got to go back.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input. It does have a 2CH or 4 CH selection button and I troubleshot that when it didn't work at first. I thought about going with male adapters but, wasn't quite sure if that would work. I didn't want to run the converter to the rear speakers because the rear speakers have no signal to convert, only the front speakers so far. I think switching the front and rear leads would tell me if the speaker wires are burned out but if the problem lies in the amp. I tried adjusting the fade on the headunit, the gain on the amp, and the frequency Xover for the rear channels. I think it is the amp but I really don't want to send it back.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 24, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
You can find out if the amp is at fault by simply reversing the inputs.  Channels 3 and 4 will now have the input that channels 1 and 2 had.  Another thing you want to do is to use a separate 4 ohm speaker for testing.  Or a pair of them.  Use speaker wire directly from the amp to these test speakers.  This will eliminate a lot of questions.  And I wouldn't go with a converter solution.  Use the Y splitters to send the signal to both sets of inputs.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Fingaz22 and stevdart are both leading you in the right direction.  You know that you have good signal going into the amp since you have sound out of the fronts. 

Take the RCA's out of the front inputs and plug them into the rear inputs.  Do you have sound out of the rears?  If so, put in a set of Y-adapters and call it good.

If you do not, put the RCA's back, and switch the speakers leads front to rear at the amp.  Do you have sound out of the rears now?  If you do, the amp is bad. 

If you still have no sound out of the rears, disconnect them, and try to ohm them out with your meter.  Also check to see if there's a lead shorted to ground.  If you get no continuity, then you have a problem in the speaker wiring and/or the speakers themselves. 

Try putting the RCA's into the rear inputs, and connecting the front speakers to the rear outputs.  If you get sound out of the fronts, the amp is good, and your problem is in the wiring and/or the speakers themselves.  How are they wired?  Did you run wires directly to them from the amp, or did you run them behind the deck?  Try running directly to the speakers, and check your connections.  If you still get nothing, and you tested the wire for continuity (to ensure there's no break in it), then the speakers themselves are bad.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
That's good information. Alot of that I didn't even think about. I tried switching the RCAs at first when I did't get any sound and that did no prevail. I think I switch the RCAs and speaker wires from front to rear, thanks.
The speaker leads are wired directly to the amp from the speakers; I can't use the HU because I blew the channels in it. So I know that it's either a problem in the amp or wires.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic