icon

Custom S-10 Fiberglass Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noakes75 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, i've done fiberglass work in the past, but never to the extent that im currently planning on. I want to make a fiberglass box for 2 12L7s in the back of my extended cab s-10. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get started. I want to use as much of the space back there as possible. Possibly making some type of amp rack ect. But I've been outta the loop for a while and kinda need s refresher course. (army training makes you forget alot :) )
front leaning rest postion MOVE
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
build a base out of MDF for the bottom, back, and sides. mount your subwoofer rings, stretch fleece and resin; then start laying glass on top of that, sand it all relatively smooth and get to work with the body filler. That is a quick overview of what needs to get accomplished, of course it goes more into depth, but...all you needed was a refresher right? Have fun and good luck.
*Oh yeah and it's the front leaning rest position.
noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
right right right.. i remember that part now, thanks. but cant you like strickly use fiberglass resign by laying down like aluminum foil or something over your carpet to make templat that way the fiberglass wont stick, then lay the resign to make the frame then reinforce?
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
You can, but you want the enclosure to be as rigid as possible, and the floor itself is flat besides minor humps and ridges due to transmission, etc.... you can easily build around these with MDF. The more rigid your box is the more you will get out of it. Its a lot easier to get a solid foundation out of a MDF frame. Use it on any flat surfaces possible.
Generally the only boxes that end up having almost ALL fiberglass construction are like spare tire well enclosures or enclosures that are built into odd shaped side panels of a trunk. In these locations its tough to build a MDF frame w/o sacrificing a lot of air space due to all the irregularities.   
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
No buddy you can't just use resin. If you want to make a mold of the floor you need to lay down a couple layers of mat or chopped strand. it is Feasible to make the sides and back out of FG but why? It would be SOOOO much easier to use MDF. Then use MDF or FG for the front. Don't ever try to lay just resin down; it is very brittle and will crack even moving it. If you want to make a mold, yes lay tape and aluminum foil to prevent it soaking into your carpet; however, if you want to make a box with little work, use MDF.
*Change your signature, it's the front leaning rest position. Not the Front lean and rest position. trust me, I've been there many times!
noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  

alright cool thanks. i guess ill make the sides, back ,and bottom outta MDF and the rest fiberglass. thanks for all the help. yea, im a dumbass sometimes. cant understand the drills :) oh, how would you go about glassin over your factory doors? do you can paint them and have them be all smooth and possibly custom door speakers. the speakers are already there but i just wanted to juice up the panels. ive tried something like this before, and couldnt get anything to adear to the plastic. thanks

noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 3:06 AM / IP Logged  
*so you can paint them
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
I never have personally done this, I have only really have made the mistake and used bondo. don't try that! From what I've read you have two options:
1: Sand the plastic down kinda smooth, spray ut with high build flex primer, sand in between coats till it's smooth, and then paint.
2: stretch fleece over the panels, resin the fleece, apply body filler and go to town smoothing it out.
there might be more options but those are the only things that pop to mind
noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
alright, i think i got the ideas. i was also considering doing some FB work to my door panels, but im not sure how to get the FB to adear to the plastic, ive tried this before on a smaller scale (kick panels) and had no luck. Now i know its better to remake the entire kick panel out of FB but obviously you wouldnt want to do this for a door panel. any ideas? i want to get started on it this weekend. any ideas soon would be great. Also jlman. if you look at this email me back man, i want some pics and a price.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic