what's wrong with my amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gsus 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
the problem
well i did the one thing that i said i would never do on ebay & that is buy an amp from there. but my friend did it twice with some mtx amps withouth a problem. so i figured i'd be safe to buy an oldschool rockford 400a4 amp. i wanted that amp cuz my brother has one exactly like it & i thought i'd go with what i know works.... well i was wrong! the guy claimed the amp "worked great". when i hooked up the amp (no speakers hooked up to it), the fuse blew within a second of it turning on. so i went to the store & bought more fuses & blew 3 more fuses (speakers connected) before deciding to try my brothers amp. well i installed my brothers amp, and voila sound :). anyhow, the guy that sold me the amp claimed the amp worked great when he tested it at his pawn shop... but he didnt have anything that showed that it worked. then he claimed that i blew the amp by hooking it up & that the amp was not returnable the second i hooked it up. but he couldnt explain how i was supposed to test the amp without hooking it up. then he went off to say that i over powered the amp with the speakers/subs & that is what caused the amp to go bad.
i filed a paypal thing & it didnt go through because they wanted me to spend more money to find out how much it would cost to have the thing fixed and a letter saying what was wrong with the amp!
so what's wrong with my amp? is it an easy fix or did the guy royaly screw me over? any of you guys know how much it would cost to fix the amp?
wiring:
i used to have a dual basslink setup in my mr2 so i still have the multiamp wiring kit from that, which is what i used. its a 4gauge wiring kit with a 60amp fuse up front & a single 8 gauge wiring coming out the power distribution block with a 40amp fuse.
speakers
the amp was supposed to power 2 infinity components (@4ohms each) up front & 2 8"in (@2ohm each) subs in the back (one per channel).
thanks!
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you got screwed over. Most likly some kind of short in it. It might have worked fine when he had it then something got shook loose in shipping.
I say take it to a local audio dealer and have them look at it. cheaper than shipping it all over the country right?
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
93Drift 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
i have and old school rockford 500a2 and its on its last limbs, i asked sum ppl about replacing it and alot of ppl love that old rockford stuff.....there is a company out there that can rebuild those amps and restore them quite well, i can't remember the company, but search around, see what you can find
gsus 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
crap on a stick! :(
i'll never buy any electronics on ebay again! i knew something was gonna go wrong. thanks for the replies guys. i'll look around & see how much it'll cost me to have this thing fixed. if that place you, 93Drift, are talking about is not too expensive i'll definately have them take a look at it (has that place been talked about here on this board?).
thanks
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2005 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  

General Questions: info@kbaudio.com

Billing Information: billing@kbaudio.com
Repair Orders: orders@kbaudio.com
Bulk Orders: bulk@kbaudio.com
Dealer Orders/Info: dealers@kbaudio.com
Technical Questions: tech@kbaudio.com
Webmaster: webmaster@kbaudio.com 

try this guy. he repairs most amps. and  he is very easy to work with. his name is sergey. and he guarantees his work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic