icon

I need your opinions, advice, and ideas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stumppy84 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like im in the same situation as you chrisne77. I know that i want a newer dash look like in the newer cars. I want the das hto have some curves.
Stumpy
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
well i would start by getting all the component that your going to have in your dash i.e. your gauges(speedo, tach, etc), radio, monitor or what ever.. and lay those out where you want them and then you can use mdf to make the skeleton of the dash and when you wrap it with fleece you can see the shapes you will be getting.. its kind of a project that you might build part of it and then cut it out cause it don't look right... but personally i would  go with something similiar to those pics i posted... they make lack the curves of new cars but you don't have a new car.. the updated instruments along with the smooth FG look do really well to compliment the interior of older muscle cars and hot rods...
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
chrisne77 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I would be careful about the height of the gauge cluster. I don't have the seats in my car, and it has a manual transmission. So it's going to be hard to find the perfect mix between seat height, shifter height, and dash height. After the seats are mounted then I'll be able to figure out the right height for the dash ect..
blackenedsrt4 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of look/feel are you going with the whole car in general? What gauges are you going to go with? You going to have A/C? Do you want a radical or simple design...or somewhere in between?
stumppy84 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

blackenedsrt4 wrote:
What kind of look/feel are you going with the whole car in general? What gauges are you going to go with? You going to have A/C? Do you want a radical or simple design...or somewhere in between?

I dont have A/C I want a somewhere in between design and I do have my guages picked out I also want a center console. I also build PC's for a hobbie so I also want to build a PC in the Center console, So I can have GPS, watch movies, run any other prog, and Have an 80gig Ipod.

Stumpy
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
I ran across the "Red Rocker" project C-10 and seen that they rebuilt the dash. I would follow what ragoal12 said and build a skeleton out of MDF, stretch the fleece, apply resin and a couple layers of glass. I have seen people use different diameter PVC piping (1", 4", etc) for custom guage applications I would post the link but it's against the rules. just go look around on glasmanscustomforum.com and it'll be there. Bondo is can be used on your situation, since you are doing a complete rebuild. we tell people not to bondo over the cushiony vynil on their dash because it will crack; seeing as how you won't have any you'll be fine. Good luck and keep posting.
stumppy84 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah i cant wait to get started on it but I First gotta get the frame all sanded and primed. I will try to get the frame done ASAP.
Stumpy
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic