the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

two or one sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
The general rule of the thumb for doubling cone area is +6dB, not 3dB.

ddsubman wrote:
I've never seen anyone gain 6db on the meter  just by adding another woofer with the same amount of power. In the real world, you would likely only gain about 2db.

3 db is figured in a perfect world, and I would agree with the above that the real world usually shows about 2 db increase.  I'm guessing that sedate is assuming a doubling of power along with the doubling of cone area to arrive at +6 db.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
Huh ..
yea I mean generally adding a woofer involves halving the impedence of the system, so when ppl say "add a sub" I always assume they mean "another radiating diaphram identically configured to one I have" ...
Real world only 2dB? Huh. I halved the power going to my subs ... 480watts down from 800, but switched to a pair of CDT 12's from a 13w6 and I'm *much* more satisfied. Much, much louder at any frequency..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
Huh ..
yea I mean generally adding a woofer involves halving the impedence of the system, so when ppl say "add a sub" I always assume they mean "another radiating diaphram identically configured to one I have" ...
Real world only 2dB? Huh. I halved the power going to my subs ... 480watts down from 800, but switched to a pair of CDT 12's from a 13w6 and I'm *much* more satisfied. Much, much louder at any frequency..

What was that....techspeak doubletalk perhaps? Half of 800 is not 480, I think your calc needs some new batteries....LOL . But seriously though, 2 brand new speakers should sound better than 1 tired old JL.  sounds more like apples versus oranges to me. I was speaking from my experience as a competitor,    and as many variations as I have run over the years, of course 2 high end woofers will sound better than a Pyramid original. I just know that 1 Digital Designs 15inch woofer will turn better numbers on an spl meter than 2 audiobahn immortals running the same power. Been there done that.

Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
footbaldd 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
How long have you had the 9515, and how do you like it overall? I finally powered up my 3510 with about 1500rms give or take, and I cant even imagine running much more on the street without serrious hearing loss. I think the problem is most people are under the impression that running 2+ is that much louder and in many cases sacrafice speaker quality, box design/size, and power thinking that 2+ will be that much better then one properly installed sub. Then again everyone to their own.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
ddsubman wrote:
alf of 800 is not 480, I think your calc needs some new batteries....LOL .
two or one sub? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Bad math eh? Lemmie rephrase:
I doubled the impedence on my amp and *almost* two or one sub? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. halved the power output...
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
I've had my 9515 for about 3 years. It was originally a "d" series, one of the voice coils dropped out so I sent it back to DD for a rebuild. They upgraded eveything to the new "f" series and I put it back in my yukon about 3 weeks ago. I am really impressed with the power handling and sound quality, even though they are built mainly for spl purposes. One thing a lot of people don't realize about DD woofers either is that once you buy one from them, you never have to buy another! After the factory warranty runs out you can ship your woofer back to them yourself if something happens. I'm not sure about the lower series woofers, but for $130 they completely rebuilt my woofer. The only original part that wasn't replaced was the motor. They even attached the newer style basket. I continuosly  run mine at about 2,000 watts for ride around and almost 4,000 for competitions. I have however, seen the same style woofer "burped" at the competitons with close to 10,000 watts and emerge unscathed! I'm saving up my money to buy another ma amp and a 9917 to compete with and put the 95 series woofer in my wife's car.
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic