icon

what battery to choose

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customcutlass92 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
Everyone hold up. An Optima wont fit under your washer bottle. You have to put it in the trunk.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
Forgive me heamph, I'm *certain* you can appreciate my bellicosity...
Again, referred to heamph's original post...
haemphyst wrote:
You do not need yellow top battery, (personal feelings speaking, the red-tops are better spec-wise for car stereo anyway...)
Yea. Huh. I actually recall reading this post a few weeks back and being somewhat suprised at this statement. I mean, I killed a Red Top in a weekend with a kw of JL amps and a 90amp alt. The same amps and the same 90amp alt that, attached to a Yellow Top, produce zero-light dimmage and have my voltmeter pegged to 12.0 - 13v under full tilt-pull from the 1800d (tho to be fair, that is @ 4-ohms, but add the e6450, the USX2050, & the EQX.. a round kw I think..) a solid year later. The Yellow has proved absolutely bottomless. Of course, that's all *subjective* .... on to 'theory' ....
haemphyst wrote:
On to the differences between standard (red-top) and deep cycle (yellow-top) batteries. NOTHING. They are the same, save the THICKNESS of the plates they are built with - deep cycle being up to 25 percent thicker. Because the current a battery can produce comes from a chemical reaction, the number of plates (or total surface area of the plates - 25% thicker means 25% fewer plates, means 25% less peak current...)
Sure. You're saying that by virtue of its sturdier construction, peak current production is sacrificed.
haemphyst wrote:
Which one is better for CURRENT? The red top, right? What does a car amp need to produce power? Current, that's right. Now which one will you choose?
Wow. heamph, I .. uhh .. just don't follow this conclusion AT ALL. As I understand this, it is like comparing the 800 CCA's to the 750CCA's ... yea I mean I already conceded the Red *will* produce more current in a pinch ... but it is just that ... in a pinch. Under a LOAD, which is what .. i mean.. you know.. an operating amplifier only needs so much, but it does need it all the time.. and when you start getting into larger monoblocks you start getting 50 - 60 amp pulls at a time... But again, even then, the MAXIMUM amount of current we're talking about here is not going to sweat *either* battery...   
So if one battery is sturdier, and discharge and recharge with more reliablilty, why wouldn't it be the superior choice for an application that would place the battery under significant strain for a large portion of it's operating life? Particularly an application that would test the limits of its storage capacity? I mean.. I would rather keep the tank for future use than break it and empty it all at once..
haemphyst wrote:
No, I am NOT a salesman for Optima
Obviously! You'd be pushing the Yellow's! what battery to choose - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
just get the Duralast save some money.
Big Dave
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic