icon

How do you bond to plastic?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
I'm installing a system into my Dakota extended cab, and I'm modifying the both back wall panels to fit a couple amps and crossovers, plus putting bigger speakers into door panels. I didn't start the door panels yet, but the back wall panels are almost finished...I used mdf and fiberglass to make a spot for amp to sit on, but now I have to attach that piece to the plastic panel somehow. Fiberglass sticks to plastic, but can be quite easily ripped off. I know 3M has a product called Rigid Parts Repair, which is what I need, but it is $30USD for a 5oz tube! I will have to spend hundreds of dollars to get it done with 3M. Is there any other product I can use? And where to get it? I can't even find 3M anywhere 'cause I live in a small Canadian town. Canadian tire has some sort of epoxy resin for plastics, and then something for bumper repairs, which is relatively cheap (I believe around CAD$7). Will this work ok? I still didn't try body filler, but I have a feeling it won't stick any better than fiberglass.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
Be shure to get the moisture out of the plastic first.  I belive the goey paint stripper stuff works great for that.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
We don't have Autozone in Canada, so I can't get that cheap filler. I looked on internet for some local distributors and found a few. Got myself today that EZ Sand Rigid Parts Repair from 3M. It cost me $101 after taxes :( But it's a big one - 400 ml. I just hope it will be enough. The applicator gun alone was $150, but I said no way I'm paying that. So will have to push it out somehow myself. Hope it works.
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
duramix 4040.
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
what small town in canada are you from?
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
The other way to make filler, FG "Stick" to PP/PE/PAO plastics (interior plastics) is to break out the drill and a 1/8" drill bit. Drill many many holes through the piece you are building up. When you use the filler or even a duramix style 2 part filler, all the holes will help "key" in the filler material to the underlying plastic. Adds some strength, and increases the surface area that the bonding is occuring over.
My favourite products are courtesy of Dominion Sure Seal. There is a kit available at Canuck Tire that works ok for non strength areas, but for the good stuff head over to an autobody supply place such as Chase and ask them. It comes in squeeze tubes like toothpaste, so no $150 gun that uses $2 mixing tips. You can do your pieces to apply on the plastic, then pop them off, get them close, and use a good bonding agent to glue the parts back on, and then use a proper plastic adhesive filler to feather the edges in.
The other thing to try is good old fashioned Betaseal u-418 quick cure. Windshield urathane. Black as black, stains whatever it gets on, and generally sticks to whatever properly cleaned surface it is applied to. Tough stuff.... keep a tube in the shop at all times. Works well for sticking anything to anything else (saayy, a co worker's drill to the celing rafters....)
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
wiretapper 
Copper - Posts: 166
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

lathan wrote:
duramix 4040.

+1

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic