the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Dissatisfied with Alpine Amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
Humm, give it a try i guess, i'll have to warn you tho, keep an eye on it because it does get pretty toasty after a good long cranked session.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2006 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
So whats the verdict? Did it work out good?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
So whats the verdict? Did it work out good?

Man, after reading through this thread again, I was so freaking lost that I should have left a trail of breadcrumbs behind me!

I ran a JL Audio 10W3v2-D4 (wired parallel for 2 ohms) for less than a week.  It worked fine because I was convinced that I was putting 200W into a 2 ohm load and set the gains on the amp accordingly.   In other words, I didn't have much more current flowing through the amp than I did when I had the gains set for 400W into a 4 ohm load.

A couple of days after getting the 10W3v2-D4, I was able to confirm that the Alpine MRV-F450's subchannel is NOT 2 ohm stable, so I decided to return it and get a 12W1v2-4 instead.  I though having more cone area and a speaker that was designed to run on 150W to 200W  would make a difference.  It didn't.   The lesson I've learned here is that if you keep buying subs that have efficiency ratings of 85db to 87db and keep feeding them the same 200W RMS, you're going to get more or less the same results.

Since I'm not at the point where I want to put in a 400W (or higher) mono amp to run a sub, I'm leaning towards getting something more efficient like an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1.  That sub has an efficiency rating of 96db, and from what I've read, it's also pretty good sub in terms of SQ.  I'm also looking at the Image Dymanics IDQ series.  Those have an efficiency rating of 90db, but at supposed to be excellent SQ subs.

As for the rest of the setup, everything that Sedate said is turning out to be true.   I deadened the doors a couple of weeks ago and replaced the hacked up plastic spacers with new ones.  It made a tremendous deference in terms of the overall strength and volume of the VR650 components, even when listening with the car parked.  Now the rear fill is no longer dominant and the VR650 compoents are now playing loud enough and strongly enough that I could ditch the rear fill altogether if I wanted to.   That's the good news.  The bad news is that now I just have a louder and stronger version of what I had before.  The overall sound hasn't changed at all.

So I decided it's time to throw in the towel with respect to the VR650s and try something else.  I have a set of CDT EF61 Neo Braxials due to arrive any day now.   I should have them in the car by this weekend, so once I've had the chance to give them a good listen, I'll post an update.

tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

tomfin2000 wrote:
  In other words, I didn't have much more current flowing through the amp than I did when I had the gains set for 400W into a 4 ohm load.

Actually, that should read "200W into a 4 ohm load."

Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Don't let the 96 db sensitivity reading on the infinity perfect fool you, it did me. That reading is with cabin gain, meaning the spl was measured in the car vs 3 feet away. overall is still a great sq sub, I loved mine.
You might consider a tc2+ sub. It has a lot of excursion, supposeably great sq & is on sale at www.oaudio.com. I can't say that I know it sounds great cause i'm still waiting on mine to be shipped, but all of the feedback i've heard regarding this sub pushed me to buy one.
if interested, I'll leave some feedback when i listen to it for a day or two.
tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

OCURIEL wrote:
Don't let the 96 db sensitivity reading on the infinity perfect fool you, it did me. That reading is with cabin gain, meaning the spl was measured in the car vs 3 feet away.

So what do you think the true sensitivity rating on the sub would be if you were doing an apples for apples 2.83v/1m or 1w/1m measurement?

[QUOTE]overall is still a great sq sub, I loved mine.[/QUOTE]

Most people that have owned them seem to really like them.  

[QUOTE]You might consider a tc2+ sub. It has a lot of excursion, supposeably great sq & is on sale at www.oaudio.com. I can't say that I know it sounds great cause i'm still waiting on mine to be shipped, but all of the feedback i've heard regarding this sub pushed me to buy one.
if interested, I'll leave some feedback when i listen to it for a day or two.[/QUOTE]

This is the first time I've heard of o-audio or the tc2+.  I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you think of it, especially since you've already run an Infinity Kappa 12.1.

That's where I'm at a real disadvantage.  I don't anyone else locally that's into car audio, so I don't have the opportunity to listen to what other people are running.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Factory subwoofer sensitivity numbers are basically meaningless because of a lack of standard enclosure. The same woofer in a small sealed enclosure vs. a ported box would show a completely differant number.
There is no such thing as free installation!
tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Factory subwoofer sensitivity numbers are basically meaningless because of a lack of standard enclosure. The same woofer in a small sealed enclosure vs. a ported box would show a completely differant number.

Yeah, it looks like I was way off base again, especially with respect to the Infinity Kappa 12.1:

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=080300;p=1

I know you can get decent low end for a modest SQ setup like mine with 200W RMS, but I'm having a tough time figuring out how to do it.

Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
I'll definitely post my taughts on that sub. It looks very promising. It was reccomended to me by a very knowledgeable guy who is in the process of building subs, mids & tweeters for the diy community.
Have you taught about going ported. a nice tuned box will get plenty loud & low off 200 watts.
Alpine Guy 
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
There was a review on a diamond audio sub in your wattage range in the latest car audio and electronics mag you should check out, looks pretty promising for the price.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic