icon

2004 chevy truck complete system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
superboy95 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

The stock speakers have stock wire running to them.  Instead of threading wire through the doors they would just hook onto the stock speaker wire.  Think about if you were just replacing the components without amping...you would use the stock speaker wires and run them to the crossover.

I will probably run new wire.  Although the tables i've found say the stock wire should handle <90rms.  Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this and what the results were.

otter 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
okay, yeah, I got it now, did some searching around and found that a lot of people run the stock wires. Whatever is easiest for you I guess, not sure what you would do with the crossovers then though.
superboy95 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

Searching around?  On this site or somewhere else?  If here could you please paste links to the threads you found?

Definitely easier to use stock wires, but like I said I don't want to sacrifice sound quality...if it will.

Questions...Questions...That's why i'm here, right?! 2004 chevy truck complete system - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

otter 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
I searched this site, just type in door speakers and you will get a few threads. there is even one that has a calculator for power loss per foot of speaker wire depending on the gauge that you run, good stuff!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
superboy95 wrote:

I will probably run new wire.  Although the tables i've found say the stock wire should handle <90rms.  Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this and what the results were.

The factory wiring is fine. You won't hear a difference, but if you want to rewire it go for it.

superboy95 wrote:

3.  Where in the world do i mount those big ugly polk crossovers?  I was told to just wrap them real good with bubble wray and put them inside the doors

Do not do that. Take the time to run new wire to the door. Locate the x-overs up under the dash or kick panels. Don't risk rusting your x-overs out in doors.

superboy95 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ok.  Well that definitely means running new wire through the doors (mounting the x-overs in the cab).  Which is what i was trying to avoid.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

You can mount the crossovers to the doors- find a spot where they'll fit between the door panels and the plastic water barrier and screw them in place.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic