icon

antenna extension of remote starter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mpdej8 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Bulldog Security Remote starter.   The range is inconsistant.    The antenna is just a short yellow wire coming out of the RS Control modules,  probably 16 to 18 inches long.    Right now it is just hanging under the dash.    It is not long enough to run up through the dash to the windshield.    Can I just splice more wire on to this wire so that I can run it up through the dash to the windshield, and maybe up the side pillar?    Will that create me a longer antenna?    Will that help?

Thanks,

Matt

ruse 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
No that could make the range worse. How old is the system? Recommended replacement of the batteries in your remotes are 8 to 12 months depending how much you use your remotes. Poor range could mean weak remote battery. Another options is to see if bulldog makes a extended range antenna. I personally do not like Bulldog brand, I basically say you get what you pay for with them. $49.99 for the system from wal-mart and 49 days use.
Ford Authorized Accessory Installer/Dealer
mpdej8 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

I specifically bought the Bulldog because I have another Bulldog on my other car, in its third year of service and have NO problems with it.   Other than range, it works perfectly.   It is not that big of deal, as I don't park very far away from my indoors.    I just don't seem to get the 400 ft that it claims will work.

Hey, for $50 and still working after 3 years,  you would be dumb not to buy one.   Of course you could go spend $150 or $200 on one and,  well,  my $50 starter still starts my car.    Isn't that what it is for???

Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
why can't he just extend. Isn't it the same as a directed overhead with the wireless modulator. It has a small extension for the wireless antenna. We always extend those to get a better signal.
ericbla03 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
I am having the exact same problem with the exact same remote starter. I extended the wire through the A pillar and above the windshield and it actually made the problem worse than when it was just hanging. The installation video says to connect the wire to a piece of bare metal under the dash......and then the website urges you to make sure that the wire DOES NOT touch any bare metal. I dont know what to do. I can only start the car when im standing next to it.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
i wouldn't put it near the car body.
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
I get the best results when I route the wire as close to the top of the dash as possible-- I'll often tuck then end in the intstrument panel trim...
The higher it is and the less metal immediately around it, the bettter it should work.
Me
Falcon 1 
Copper - Posts: 130
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
I have tried splicing an extension on a bulldog system but it did not improve the range at all.
Do it right the first time, only a doctor can bury his mistakes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic