icon

95 Lumina Anti-theft key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimd2p 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
I am own an auto repair business and ran into a little problem with the GM Pass-II (I believe that is the system name) key system.
My customer has a 1995 Chevy Lumina. The bearings in the steering column were failing and for this old car, we opted for a used column. I installed the column today, and of course, it won't start.
I am sure this is do to the key that came with the used column is not compatible with the GM PASS-II decoder.
Is there a way to bypass this or reprogram it that is not overly complicated? Through my shop manuals, they call for a special tool to decode the key and program it to the decoder.
Thanks in advance!
stroked383z28 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
The 95 Lumina will have VATS.  There is a chip in the key that has a measurable resistance.  You can either bypass it or put the original key cylinder in the new column so that the original key can be used.  To bypass it you will need to measure the resistance of the original key.  Then locate the two small gauge wires usually found in orange tubing running down the column, cut them, and wire in a resistor on the car side of the wires equal to that of the original key.
jimd2p 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
As a follow up, I ended up transferring the old cylinder over. Tried the resistors and it didn't work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic