My 3rd FG Sub Box start to finish

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

And then you're dead.

I would seriously think about getting a respirator when painting, you will be happy in 10 years.

dabanger 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
After you removed the fiberglass from the back piece of MDF, what did you use to secure it back in place after adding the mat to the inside?  Did you just use screws and some bondo-glass?  How much fiberglass resin and mat did you end up using for the truck box?  Last question, how long did it take you to complete the box?  You did a really good job on those enclsures by the way.  They look sharp too.  I'm planning on building a similar box for my '05 Tacoma, and putting 3 Kenwood amps, a ??? capacitor, 2 12" Kicker L7's, and a computer in the back.  Along with that I want to redo my center console to relocate my deck and a the DVD-ROM drive below the A/C controls.  Its going to tough and take a lot of time, but I know I can do it.
Learning to fiberglass.... Tips are appreciated
Cougar.Modder 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Ya love that box. Was it for 12's or 15's? Looks nice anyhow. I think I am going to attempt my second box come spring time now. First one was ok, but the one side caved in for some reason and now instead of all 4 subs fitting perfectly only 3 would. Sucks.
Like yours though.
PEACE,
Alpine 7830 HU-4X100 W McIntosh -2X110 W McIntosh-MB Quart Q's Mid Tweets-4X10" Phoenix Gold Subs-Phoenix Gold EQ215ix-AC Epi-PG Line Driver-Phoenix Gold 1 Farad Cap -Clifford Avantguard 4-2 Ear Plugs
g-twizzl 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Nice Ingrbr, the blue came out real nice. I made the mistake of using rattle can paint on my first box--basecoat was ok actually, the clear is what started to bubble. boo hoo, lots of sanding. Looks good now!
g-twizzl 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
Also, i didnot use fleece for the outer layer, i used a polyester carpet material-this stuff's thick 1/4". The carpet stretched pretty easily since there was no backing, i'll try and get pics posted.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Wow nice job, smoother than a baby's ass haha! My 3rd FG Sub Box start to finish - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
lnbrgr78 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
dabanger wrote:
After you removed the fiberglass from the back piece of MDF, what did you use to secure it back in place after adding the mat to the inside? Did you just use screws and some bondo-glass? How much fiberglass resin and mat did you end up using for the truck box? Last question, how long did it take you to complete the box? You did a really good job on those enclsures by the way. They look sharp too. I'm planning on building a similar box for my '05 Tacoma, and putting 3 Kenwood amps, a ??? capacitor, 2 12" Kicker L7's, and a computer in the back. Along with that I want to redo my center console to relocate my deck and a the DVD-ROM drive below the A/C controls. Its going to tough and take a lot of time, but I know I can do it.

dabanger, when I put the bottom back on, I screwed it back to the sides, then once I cut the holes out for the subs, I put a couple layers of glass on all the seams. I think I ended up putting 3 layers of matte on the inside, along with 2 or 3 coats of resin on the outside of the fleece. Took me about a week and a half total to finish it up working evenings & weekends. Thanks for the comps.

Cougar.Modder wrote:
Ya love that box. Was it for 12's or 15's? Looks nice anyhow. I think I am going to attempt my second box come spring time now. First one was ok, but the one side caved in for some reason and now instead of all 4 subs fitting perfectly only 3 would. Sucks.
Like yours though.
PEACE,

Cougar, this box was for (2) 12's. Sounded amazing too.. thanks for the comps..good luck.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic