icon

Drop in voltage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
japreston 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

The problem that I am having is A drop in voltage at the amps when the radio powers on.  I tested the voltage at the battery, pre distribution and post distribution all 12 volts or 14 when car is on.  When the radio sends the remote signal to the amps the voltage drops to around 5.5- 7.0 volts.  Everything was running great (18 months) and then one day this problem.  Checked all wiring, nothing seems out of place.  Where is the voltage going? I would blame the amp but both are doing it, could it have somehing to do with the remot signal?

Car Audio is like a woman, can bring so much enjoyment and frustration at the same time! But who could live without either.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
Where did you take the 5.5-7.0 reading from?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
If the amp is pulling the voltage down to 6 volts, it is fried and I am surprised it is not blowing fuses or burning up your power cables.
Support the12volt.com
hoaxs 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  

the amp it self may have created some type of resitance thats taking up the voltage.  since you said you checked your wiring that sounds like your amp.  try a differnt amp and see what happens.  i

Hurry get me a steel hanger, elec tape, zip ties, a monkey and a snorgle. trust me i've ran wires with less
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2005 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  

hi,

is the power wire warm to the touch?...if that is the voltage at the amp, i'd check for corrosion on the connections, fuse holder etc..maybe even a bad fuse.  recheck everything.

mark

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic