icon

Looking for a new headunit but not Naka

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
So, I'm in the market for a new CD Player. My last one was the Nakamichi 700II and I wouldn't mind going for the next best thing...but, my problem is. I don't know what it is!
Obviously, flashy bling bling isn't my thing (I'm a poet and I didn't know it!)
It's all about the quality.
I don't need DVD
I don't need MP3 (too much quality loss)
I would like a line level input
I do need 3 line level outputs
I don't need an internal amplifier
I do need time correction (the wagon is kinda long!)
So, does anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to spend a little more then what I did on the Naka ($2K) but I will definetly search around for a good deal.
My biggest problem is, I don't really know what I'm searching for.
Check all advice given with a meter
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Probably the best car stereo head unit available right now is the McIntosh MX406.  It would be a worthy replacement for  your 700ii, although it only has 4 channels of line-level output (no separate subwoofer channel, you must use an external crossover.)  If given the choice between the two, both brand new, however, I'd probably take the Nak.. do you no longer have yours?
Support the12volt.com
overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
Hey! Thanks for your response DYohn! I will certainly look into it. No subwoofer channel is not a problem for me as I will be usinf extrenal eqs anyway.
And no. I no longer have the Naka. Someone was kind enough to remove it from my car. I found my siren smashed into numerous pieces beside my car in the morning...so, gonna add to the new list anoter alarm system with a pager on it.
I just checked out the website and read a reviewon it here
http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/headunits/mx406.htm
The issue of not being able to skip into the middle of a song doesn't seem to bother me yet. I might track down a shop that has one and have a little bit of a fiddle :D
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  

That MX 406 is a great unit, but very minimal in features (much like the Nak). Also if you should come across the MX5000, an older model from Mcintosh, jump on it. It has the 24 bit dac where the MX406 has a 20 bit dac. Also the MX 5000 has a digital out. But an FM converter is necessary for the 5000.

If you are in need of a unit that has time correction and eq's built in this Clarion is very nice or the good old P-9 combo.

overworked2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
Hi dwarren. I just checked out those links you gave me and I liked the look of that Clarion. It might be a good way to go as well.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
This would have been great! I believe this was a hair above the 5000
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
It might interest you that Clarion builds the McIntosh head units for them.
Support the12volt.com
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

I would definitely look at this Alpine HU too. http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/products/items/dvi-9990.html

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

The guy who has been hammering everyone with Eclipse of course will recommend the CD8455 for this task. Just ignore the MP3 thing and the built in amp and it has all you need.

8volt 55 ohm non-clipping preouts x 3

line input

satellite radio

A great chassis

Multi bit d/a

time correction

pink noise generator + calibrated mic - this is a cool tool that you can use easily with a computer to digitally remap that big beast.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic