icon

upgrade charging system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
total_overkill 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  

K I know I got a mess going on. Its not getting the power it needs for sure. Ashamed to admit it took this long to switch to 1 gage.

Eastern Auto Electric is a very good Auto Electric place Here. As you guys know my car has alot of electrical stuff going on. I found out today that 140 amp Alternator was something he's never heard of before on my year Grand Am after asking if it could be upgraded to maybe a 200. The only thing he could figure was 105 amp. (from the computer mind ya) Anyone know if this is possible?

2Nd Alternator setup somehow. Anything I can do to upgrade all assets of the charging system.
1997 Grand Am SE.
1 gage wire DONE
2nd battery ( no Dry cells yet) DONE (need drycells)
Battery Isolator relay Done
Heavy load fuse blocks ect DONE

I am also prducing a very heavy load.

I am (Trying) to run this

upgrade charging system? -- posted image.

3 caps and 5 amps (other amp not shown)

2 rockford fosgate BD 1000A

2 Pioneer  GM-x922 class A

and 1 Pioneer GM-6100F

I know this stuff is not working right and getting the power it needs.

40 grit has saved my life sometimes =[
total_overkill 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry I meant more in LED section Not car audio thats why I am here. My bad.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  
upgrading your electrical wiring and your alternator are a great way to feed the beast.  or the beats - whichever
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, your vehicle comes with a 105 amp alt.  Why do you feel the need for so much equipment- 5 amps, 2 10's and 2 12's?  You may want to reconsider your choices.

To get an idea of how much current your system can draw, add up all the amp fuse ratings.  That'll give you an idea of the kind of power you need from your alt.  Then just let the search begin.  Do a search on the big 3 also.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
total_overkill 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

Im way over. If I was to get a good amp that could replace the 3 pioneers what would I want?  the pioneers are 600 watt each

1 drives kaption 300 watt each 6x9's

1 drives alpines 250 W  each 6x9's

1 drives front 350 watt each  6 inch door subs and tweeter plater (6 tweets in plate) 100 watt each and uses the crossover on the amp.

I need an amp around 1800 - 2000  watt then that can drive all the above speakers that draws little power. Any suggestions as to what a good amp might be for me would be appreciated.

I stll want to keep the RF's to drive my subs.

fr33w0rld 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
you do know that caps harm your charging system?
HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
total_overkill 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

My lights used to flicker so badly before I put them in that I thought I was a cop driving home on the highway one night. But no I didnt . In what way?

I am really trying to get the charging system upgraded. Thats what this post is about. Also would like to know some really good amps to look at for what I need them for.

fr33w0rld 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
when the amp proudces a signal that i needs more power that the charging system can't handle...the lights dim..with a cap there is power in reserv..so when the deep bass hit the lights wont dim cuz of the cap...but it's after the cap has dicharged comes the harm....right after the has been used the electrical system has to re charge the cap and keep the amp going..which is a lot more draw...damanging your electrical re charging system...the best thing to do is have more bat's and have a good alternator or 2 of them...take like a 4 guage wire connect the output of the alt directly to your positive on your bat...this will help out..the electrons can flow freer to the bat.
HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
total_overkill 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

Already done.

upgrade charging system? -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic