icon

AVIC-N1 Part Number Request

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wilsonck 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

Can anyone confirm that if I had this problem on my AVIC-N1, the system would still make the sounds when I touch the screen?  The screen is completly blank on my unit and when I touch it, it makes the sounds as if it were still working.  Also, when this problem started happening, it was not consistent.  Sometimes the screen would turn on after sliding out, other times it would not and now it is not on at all.  Does it sound like replacing this part on my unit would fix my problem?

Ballerinstaller 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
I hope you have a warranty on your unit. Sounds like your flex, a flexible set of conductors that connects to your screen finally gave up the ghost. Mine did the same too. I found a tiny tear on the flex and it was intermittent for two days. I found the tiny rip and using some tools from work for working on this type of thing, I patched it temporairly until the replacement part arrived from Pioneer. The replacement part requires extensive disassembly and manually cycling the motor drive of the screen for fitting the new replacement part. Could also be a bad backlight, but I am willing to bet its probably the flex.
Pioneer Avic-N1
Clarion 300 watt 4 channel amp
PPI PC21400 1400 watt amp
2x JL 12 inch w7's
Polk EX series in factory locations
2000 Impala LS
Baller Installer - Pete D.
wilsonck 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2006 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

I doubt its the backlight.  My problems only started about a week ago.  At first, when the unit turned on and the screen rolled out, the screen would not be on, but if it pushed the button that sends it back into the unit and bring it back out, it would be fine, but after a few days of that, it just stopped working all together.  I am 99.9% sure its the flex cable as this sounds to be a common thing that is happening. 

So, it requires a lot of disassembly to be changed out?  I could do it, but would not feel too comfortable if I had to take the whole thing apart.  What if I pulled the head unit out with the screen out, would that help so I wouldn't have to cycle the motor drive?  If its a big job, I'll just pay the guy off ebay to fix it.

Ballerinstaller 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2006 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Have the ebay guy do it. THe procedure involving replacing the flex is a real pain in the patotie as you have to actually remove the back of the display while it is in the out, but not up position, worry about scratches, realigning the flex, all together you gotta remove like 30 something screws. The flex is fragile and easy to rip too, and all the time you have to worry about static electricity zapping something. I have my own 3M static workstation (thanks to my job) at home so it was no big willie for me to try it. For $119 (last time I checked) for fixing the unit on ebay, its well worth it. The guy probably works for Pioneer anyway.
Pioneer Avic-N1
Clarion 300 watt 4 channel amp
PPI PC21400 1400 watt amp
2x JL 12 inch w7's
Polk EX series in factory locations
2000 Impala LS
Baller Installer - Pete D.
the big d 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
what is this guys contact info, i gotta shoot him an email with a few Q's