Weird Subwoofer or Amp Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
anv396 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

I find this to be very strange.

I have two kicker L5 15"s in a sealed box powered by soundstream PCA2000d. I have 1/0 gauge power and ground wire to the amp along with the big 3 upgrades done in my car. When I play the L5s they get loud. louder than my memphis Power reference 15s. I dont understand is when i hook up my memphis subs with my kickers down to a 0.66 ohm load on my amp, it slams! and my amp sucks a whole lot of power. then when i hook up only the kicker L5s alone down to a 1 ohm load (which the amp is 2000w rms @ 1 ohm mono) on the same volume level, it doesnt draw as much power. my volt gauge stays @ 13.5 - 13.9 with the kickers only. but with all 4 subs hooked up it drops to 12.3 - 12.8.

I dont know whats wrong with my kickers or my amp.. someone help me..

anv396 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
the solos alone are supposed to handle 1500w rms and my lights dont even dim nearly as much as when i have all 4 hooked up. is this a subwoofer or amp problem??
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

lowering your ohms when you have both subs hooked up will draw more power out of your amp. did i explain that well enough?

SSounds
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
When you hook up all your subs you said you brought it to a 0.66 ohm load, right?  This means you are drawing more power at .66 ohms than at 1 ohm.  This means it takes more power to make this extra power.  It's also not the greatest idea to run an amp at a load it isn't recommended for.  I think that is what ssnds was saying.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic