icon

History of large Caps in car audio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
I'm just curious how these things came about in the car audio industry. I know a lot of people say that they don't do squat for a normal system, but what was there original intended purpose, functional or marketing gimmick?
Was there ever some sort of published test done on the large caps with a system to test their effectiveness? I'd just like to see some numbers on these things.
Thanks guys.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

The purpose for stiffening capacitors is to help an amplifier maintain peak output during short musical transients.  All amplifier power supplies already contain capacitors for this purpose.  Adding an external one helps as long as the vehicle's electrical system is capable of maintaining power demand and recharging the cap.  They indeed work just as they are supposed to for this function. 

Where they do NOT work is in maintaining system power when the alternator is already overloaded.  In this case, they can actually hurt more than help as they simply place another load on the already overloaded system.  They are being sold as a band-aid cure-all for overloaded alternators when a custopmer purchases a large amplifier, and this is simply wrong.  The only way to provide sufficient power to a large amplifier is to produce more power and this means a high-output alternator for a running vehicle and/or multiple batteries for when the engine is off.

Support the12volt.com
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Dyohn, good info.
Oddly enough I don't think I have ever seen someone using one correctly. I didn't even know that is how they are meant to be used.
All the Caps that I have seen being used were as band-aids for system deficiencies.
firstrax 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
I think Richard Clark was the first back in the 80's in Buick Grand National.
david n germany 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  

I actually believe it was Wayne Harris in his car and Richard saw it and improved the idea.

Harris's instal (1984) http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/gallery/detail.asp?iType=36&iPic=1780

Stanford1621 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
I remember when I was in middle school and read in a magazine "autosound and security" richard was one of the biggest supporters of caps he even did a demonstration of the safety od caps by strapping a bunch of caps to his body, some were in pretty senssitive spot, but now he is one of the biggest opponents to the use of caps, he has a forum on another website.
remarkable53 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

Most of the time installing a stiffening cap on a system is about as useless as tits on a nun!

The 1st time I saw one was in Clark's Grand National that had the single woofer and folded horn tweeters and still to this day the best damn car audio system i have ever heard or will probaly ever hear. Wayne used them too and his shop was next to ours and one day he burped his hearse and brought down 6 flouresecent lights that exploded all over customers cars. **** was i ever hot at him for doing that then.   that was way back... when Tempe was small and jim fosgate was messing around with crazy stuff. 

remarkable53
t0mmyr 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
so should i put them in my maxima? i have stock 100amp alternator, new red top optima installed, 1/0 wiring, 2 large amps for audio

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic