icon

Front speaker wiring options?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
otter 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all, I have a set of MB Quart Q series 5.25" front speakers that I am running off of a Rockford Fosgate Power 551x. The Quarts are 4Ohm speakers. I am currently bridging the 4 channel 551x therefore running it at 2ohms (I think) with the gain turned all the way down, it is heating up pretty quickly and today it shut down. I have owned this amp for a couple of years and have always run it to 4 speakers at 4ohms. I am assuming that the problem is that it is not 2ohm stable while bridged, is this a logical assumption? I looked at the Fosgate website and it lists the amp at 4channel 4ohms, 2 channel 4ohms, and 4 channel 2ohms, but not 2 channel 2ohms.
My question is this: can someone suggest the best wiring options that I have? I know that I could run half of the amp, but I would like to give the speakers the extra power (unless someone can tell me a reason that I shouldn't)
In my current setup, I am running the rear speakers off of deck power. I would remove them completely, but I want my rear passengers to at least have SOME mids and highs, and not just hear bass. On top of that I am planning on running 5.1 sometime in the future.
My current ideas:
1. bi-amp the front speakers (but I think I need an external crossover for this???
2. run the front speakers off of half of the amp, wait, and use the other half of the amp for the center channel speaker when I do 5.1
On second thought I have another question: What will the difference be that I hear from the Quarts running at 275 watts/channel (what it is currently pushing at 2ohms)vs. 70 watts/channel (each channel at 4ohms) vs. 140 watts/channel (bi-amped at 4ohms)
ok, I think that covers it all
thanks for the help in advanced
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  

The amp is overloaded.  Put one 4 ohm speaker per channel.  And buy another amp for more power.  Keep it simple:  one pair of speakers (components or coaxials) per 2ch amplifier, two sets if it's a four channel amp.  No bridging unless you're dealing with a subwoofer, so it's 4 ohms or higher.  Louder = bigger amplifier.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
damn, I really didn't want to hear that. Thank you though. Anyone with other ideas?
otter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2006 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, I forgot. In the manual for the Quarts, there is a diagram for bi-amping them using the crossovers that came with the speakers.
Not sure if that means that they are actually suitbale for it, but then again, maybe it does?
If it does, could I run 1/2 of the amp to the woofers and 1/2 to the tweeters?
thanks again
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
You can bi-amp if you want, which means you DON'T use the supplied crossovers that came with the speakers.  You'd be using the active crossovers built into the amp instead.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic