Subwoofer Box size?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kiddo 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I've got a question concerning subs in boxes. I got myself a subwoofer (Pioneer, 400 WRMS). In the user's manual it's said, that the perfect volume for a box'd be 25-49 liter (okay, these are german measures). but anyway, my question is, what exactly the difference'd be, if i put the sub in a rather small or in a bigger box? which way'd be the better one?

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
I've always liked the sound with the box built to the larger side of the specs.
'85 Toy
nstaller36695 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
depending on the vehicle i like to have just a little more air space than what a spec sheet requires a little more air space just gives it a  deeper bass sound although i'm sure some would disagree. but my customers never left saying oh no u made the box .3 cubic feet over spec ?!?!?!?!?!?!?! but if u build to spec make sure u know the dimentions and pay attention to woofer displacement a huge rookie mistake. plus only pros ever remember that the hole they cut to put the woofer in counts as air space technically and that helps make up for woofer displacement
the best part of a job is seeing the bumper get smaller over the horizon
kiddo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, to help you a little bit with the vehicle: It's a Honda Accord CB3 (1993). at the moment i've exchanged the original plank, which laid on the sparetire, with a thicker wood plank and took out the sparetire to use the room for my sub. of course we used some small laths (i hope this is the right word in english) to make this construction a bit higher in the trunk, but even with them, it seems that the sub needs more volume. the space between the plank and the bottom of the trunk just doesn't seem enough.

i hope this could be understood. difficult for a german to have small talk about such topics.

Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 5:59 AM / IP Logged  
ok making the box smaller than the specs will often make the subwoofer sound quite boomy and tite, but making it larger will make it sound a little deeper but loose if u know what i mean. if i wer u u keep within .2 either side of the specs and u shud be fine. personally i would make the bigger box and port it to a good frequency for your sub. i hope dat helps
6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
kiddo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, so you think I'd be better off with a bigger box and change the frequency. you mean the frequency set in the amplifier's setup, right? well, at the moment I'm running the setup to boost everything between 20 - 30 Hz. I even set the slope to -24 Db, 'cause i don't like higher bass frequencies boosted too strong. i usually listen to trance music, so I'm still thinking about inreasing the volume of the enclosure or not. increasing the volume would cause the sub to sound much more loose, as you said. don't know if this'd be the right thing to do, if I need kicks for trance music.

kiddo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry to ask this question that late, but what exactly do you mean if you talk about subwoofer dislacement? You said there are lots of rookie-mistakes made and I AM a rookie, that's why I'm asking again =)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic