icon

Push-Button Starter Dome Light Issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steiny83 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2006 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing a push-button starter (with toggle switches for the ignition and accessory relays) on a 1998 Chevy S-10. I have about 90% completed, despite two issues...
1.) I've never taken an ignition off of a steering column before. Once this is done, I will no longer need the key in the ignition, because the wheel will turn freely (instead of locking when there is no key in it). Could anyone give me adive on how to remove the ignition??
but the more important question...
2.) I want the dome light to turn on when I flip the toggle switches to shut off the engine. How can I accomplish that? I have noticed that the brown and green wires on the top of the ignition must be connected to get the dome light to turn on when I remove the key. Can I use a relay to send these wires a signal that triggers the dome light?
Kind of confusing, I know, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2006 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
PS...I replaced my Passlock II with a resistor...I've heard some controversy over this. Is it pretty safe or do I need a backup?
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone? Trying to determine how to turn on the domelight when I turn off the truck...
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Pretty sure you can do that with a few resistors, caps, and a transistor.  Though it's been a number of years since i played with those kind of electronics, I might be able to dig out some old schematics this weekend.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  
ignition would be held on with sheer bolts have to drill them out
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks powermyster! Cntrylvr, any schematics or help would be greatly appreciated! By the way, I was also considering the door trigger wire...maybe there's some way I could trigger that. It's been a while, but I believe the door triggers take a positive signal. If that's the case, would I be able to make use of a relay and perhaps a capacitor to trigger the door switch when I flip the toggle switch off.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
Are you looking to do a timed domelight control? I'd have to assume you don't want the domelight to just come on and stay on when you turn the ignition off-
Or is the domelight timeout part of the car's setup right now, and you just want to be able to trigger it?
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
The domelight trigger on the truck should be a function of the BCM. Probably turns it on when the keysense goes away...... try putting a ground to the green keysense wire, then take it away. If that pops your domelight on, wire up a relay off of the accessory to provide a ground to this wire while the truck is running.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Good call, Gus! I'm 90% sure that'll work...gotta go check it though. Yes, DualSport, the domelight timeout is what I need to trigger.
Thanks!
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry Haven't gotten back sooner.  I found the diagrams I was looking for and none of them would work with what you're wanting to do.  Sorry bro.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic