icon

best sub on the market

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geesssare 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2006 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hey whats up! Im in the process of adding a sub to my system. Im limited on space so I was planning on using one sub.(maybe two) I was wondering what you guys thought was the best sub on the market. Ive used JL in the past and loved it. oh i almost forgot my amp is 900 watts bridged into 4 ohms @14.4 vdc.
geesssare 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone used DD subs? Did you like them, and how do they compare to JL?
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
I always wondered why people think JL is the bench mark to surpass. All they did was invent the DVC and what amounts to a LOC. They been ridding that since. There are much better companies boston acoustic for one.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

Really no simple and direct answer to what the "best sub on the market" is, really depends what you are looking for (spl or sq mainly), and what your personal preference for the sound of a sub is.  Not to mention the limitations your amp provides (900 watts).  As far as people's love for JL goes, they arent only known for inventing those certain technologies.  I personally really like sound of some of JLs subs and speakers, and not because they invented dvc subs or locs.  They happen to make some really good products for somebody who produces in the quantity they do and is so well known on the regular consumer market.  Sure there are other companies out there that produce what are probably considered "better" products, but I like the sound of JL's subs and the options they provide me.  Post back with a little more of what you are looking for, and it might help if you let us know specifically what amp it is (see if it is over or underrated), and we will be glad to help.

geesssare 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the responce. I didnt know JL invented the DVC, thats crazy! And what does LOC stand for? My main goal is to create a system that sounds clean and can be heard blocks away. The amp Im using for bass is an Alpine MRV-1507. Im also using a PPI FRX-322 eq. I had 2 JL 10w6(the older ones) but one is blown. So I was thinking aboutselling the one 10w6 and using a 12w7 or a DD sub. Whatcha think
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
Oh no doubt JL makes some nice shhh but it isn't the best. And LOC is Line out Conventor, allows the addig of an amp to a factory radio.
geesssare 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2006 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
If JL isn't the best, who is? Ive bought these 10's in 2001, so I guess it was time for them to blOW! Someone told me it's better to run JL subs in sets of three. I am looking for a little more bass. Im looking for the best sub using the MRV-1507.
sk8ingsmurf is the MRV-1507 underrated? and how can you tell?
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2006 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
I would say that the MRV-1507 is going to be fairly accurate in its ratings, normally alpine varies up to like 5-8%, they are always underrated if anything, but your amp should be putting out somewhere between 900=950 watts rms bridged into 4 ohms.  If you really are a big fan of JL subs, then that amp will work beautifully with two JL 12w3v2-d4s,  I run four of them, and have never been happy as far as sound and spl for your dollar than these subs.  There are definitely other options out there though if you want to try something other than JL.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

geesssare wrote:
If JL isn't the best, who is?

Once again this question cannot be answered. You need to be more specific. You wanna know what sub is the best, but best for what. Are they the best for sq, for spl, for being shiny, for putting on the best smoke show, for working best in a small box, for working best in a ported box, for being durable. You see what I am getting at. You are not gonna get  a sub thats best overall, but you can get one thats very good at alot of things. DD subs are good drivers, the W7 is a very popular sq driver that can get loud, the MTX 9500 is a good driver and can be absolutly punished, although I have never heard one the Adire Brahma is suposed to be good for both sq and spl. Diamond, Focal and Boston all make great SQ drivers but I dont think I would use them for an SPL car.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic