Cargo light for cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
teppy1 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I just put a cap on the back of an '02 Ram 1500 quad cab. I have it wired for the third brake light and a dome light with a local switch (got those from the brake light and trailer hookup)
I'd like to put another light back there that could be operated from the switch on the dimmer which operates the cargo light. Anybody know where the best place to access that wire is and the color? I'll need to run something to the back of the truck to get up to the cap with the rest of the wires. I figured I'd just buy a separate light. It would be nice to have one switched back there and one that could be switched from the drivers seat.
Thanks!!
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
well the best spot to get to the wire is right at the cargo light it self. to find out what is pos. and neg. use a multimeter. i looked for the color in alldata but couldn't find it. i will check again and let you know if i find anything.
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
teppy1 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe I'll look in the cargo light housing to find the color, then look down below to see if I can find the wire going up to the light near the floor. Still not sure how to get it outside, though. Thanks for the information and for looking!!
Joe
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

still can't find it ,but you will have to drill and gromet the body of the truck somewhere of convince. in order to get that wire outside of the truck and into the cap. i would go right close to the cargo light housing itself. just make sure to seal it with a gromet and silocone. you don't want to have water getting in there,

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Remove the driver's A-pillar panel----it's two 10mm bolts behind that big handle.
I KNOW the domelight wire is in there...... it only makes sense that the cargo lamp would be there too. There aren't very many wires; just poke your tester at the plug there, and test them all.
I would guess that it is probably positive trigger, but test for negative too.
teppy1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone!
I also found an '03 wiring diagram and it says the cargo wire is red and yellow. I'll pull the A-pillar and check it out. I think I'll try to find someplace wires are already going through the cab rather than drill a hole. If I do drill, it will probably be down low and in the back with a gromet and lots of rtv.
Thanks again for the help!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
teppy,
Look in the space between the cab and bed, under the truck near the back of the cab, and under the inside carpet near the back of the cab.
I know that on the 1994-2001 Ran, as well as the Ford Super Duty, there's an unused rubber grommet there.....it is possible that yours has one too.
It would be easy to poke a hole in the center of the grommet with a sharp tool, and pass your wire through there.
teppy1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks again everyone! I've been out of town for a few days, but I'll try that tomorrow. Great suggestions! Great group!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic