the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Thoughts on the Pioneer DEHP8600MP?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

I have been looking for a audiophile grade head unit. I'm currently using a Nak. CD40 which has served me well, but have been thinking about upgrading. I've been keeping my eyes open for a used McIntosh or Nak. CD-700II. Then I noticed that the Pioneer DEH8600MP and DEH9600MP also uses the Burr-Brown 24 bit D/A converters with 8x oversampling. (I believe the Nak.700 also uses a single 24 bit and McIntosh uses a dual 20 bit) However, I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the unit yet. Of course, that will be the main test. Nevertheless, I was curious if any of you have listened to/heard anything about these units. I have always had respect for Pioneer as decent mid-line stuff, but can they compete with the big boys?

Also, what do you think about their 13 band parametric EQ? The unit has received good reviews on epinions.com and SoundDomain.com, but you never know if these people are as picky as myself. Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike Brooks 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

I currently own a 8600 MP.  I have auditioned a NAK CD-45Z next to the same 8600 MP that I have on my sound board.  The 45Z has no bells & whistles to go along with it, just straightforward concentration in the best components.  the 8600 has many bells & whistles.  I am a certified USACi SQ judge & it is in my opinion that the 45Z has a noticeable increase in sound quality than the 8600.  Reason for my opinion is as follows:

The vocals are more pronounced.  When performing my listening tests, all controls were set to their flat positions with any loudness compensation & time alignment set to the  off position.

The snare drum had a more pronounced kick to it.

The high frequencies were very smooth and  very well blended.

Low frequencies were typical of any head unit.  Not much emphasis needed in this department.   The only reason that I am running Pioneer is due to the Sat. Radio capability & control of multiple components that Pioneer makes.

Nak is the way to go for sound quality.

Mike Brooks

1970 Cadillac Hearse
Memphis
(12)M3154
(2)MC-104
(3Pr.)MCSYNC6
(1Pr.)MCSYNC8
Earthquake
(3)PHD5000
(3)PH2000.2
Alpine
(1)CDA-9835
Audio Control
(1)DQXS
(1)EPIC160
Stinger Connection
Ir
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

Mike Brooks wrote:

I am a certified USACi SQ judge & it is in my opinion that the 45Z has a noticeable increase in sound quality than the 8600. 

Thanks for the feedback. I realize that one can not totally base a decision on a component's specs. The ear has the final say. With that said, how much does the bit quality of the D/A converter play into a head unit's sq?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic