icon

Thoughts on JL Audio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
JL products are NOT the best for the money... you can get simular quaity stuff at a lower rate.. but with that behind me, i am a fan of JL.
Not that im huge on SQ (Especially being 17, lol) but my last system was a JL 13w1v2 sub in a sealed box powered by a JL e1200 amp @ 4ohms. i loved that system. I've always thoguht that a pair of 12 or 13 w7's would get real loud and sound good.
And on your electrical system.. if your going to be running under 2000w, i don't belive there is a need for 3 additional batterys. Why not go with your alternator and big 3, a redtop under the hood, and a yellow top seperate? makes more sense to me.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Use luckydevil's link.  Great product for the price.  You can't go wrong with $60.  Plus CDT makes a great product.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Paradigm wrote:
Read the post on McIntosh products. I'm pretty sure this is one of the lines DYohn meant, speedwayaudio1.

I too, would be interested to hear some of the others that you consider to be high-end, DYohn. Thoughts on JL Audio? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

Yes, McIntosh is what I consider a high-end amplifier.  Also amps from companies like Milbert, Brax, Helix (same as Brax actually), Genesis, Bryston, Linn, Zapco, Adcom and Nakamichi to name a few.

JL Audio makes good amps pretty much equivalent in overall quality to JBL, Alpine, Eclipse, etc.

Support the12volt.com
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
srtblue wrote:
and found them cold and sterile sounding , and their component speakers were simply terrible in my system
Hmm. This is a frequent criticism of the 'slash' series amplifier... I too find these amps a bit sterile myself..
Still I'm suprised by DYohn's comment here:
DYohn wrote:
JL Audio makes good amps pretty much equivalent in overall quality to JBL, Alpine, Eclipse, etc.
As this is a blanket statement I will of course consider the inclusion of the high end 'slash' series of amplifiers.. nominal subjective feelings about the sterelity (or cleanliness, however one would have it) of JL's 'slash' series, even a cursory objective comparison would place the JL Audio 'Slash' series amplifiers inline with at *worst* Eclipse, certainly *significantly* better than the best from JBL or Alpine... while perhaps not of the pedigree of an McIntosh, even a cursory glance placing.. say the JL500/1 against the AlpineMRD1005 (I dunno, whatever the 1000watt monoblock is) would demonstrate the severe superiority of the JL product.
See this thread here comparing the JL to the top end Alpine monoblock.
JBL and Eclipse are also guilty of overrating thier input voltages and (as nice as the new Eclipse amps look) have nowhere near the S/N any of the JL's do...
Even against the Nak's, the JL's easily hold thier own... These Nak's are certainly no better than the 300/4...
JL's 'slash' series amplifiers are *world-class*..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  

I'm simply stating my opinion based on personal usage and yes, it is very generalized.  Sorry about that.  Your results may vary.

Support the12volt.com
r_wern 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
I know I keep saying this, but thank you all for your input on this matter.  I don't want to buy JL just because it is JL, I am only interested in it if it is infact WORTH what it costs.  Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to afford Nak, Morel, Scan Speak, etc., so I'm trying to get the best product for my money.  Keep the input, good or bad, coming.  Thanks for your time!
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
r_wern wrote:
I don't want to buy JL just because it is JL, I am only interested in it if it is infact WORTH what it costs.
In terms of *any* of thier amplifiers, absolutely. Either series competes not only on price, but seriously in terms of performance...   some really nice amplifiers here. You can do better in terms of pure dollar/watt, but in terms of value for the $$$, JL is an industry leader.
Their loudspeakers have won industry-wide praise and few can drum up much criticism anywhere along the line.. I personnaly think they are generally overpriced by a solid 30% or so... comparable stuff can usually be had for less and I would *not* ever choose JL loudspeakers ever again.. exposure to somewhat more esoteric brands, especially CDT, have moved me away from that sterile, high-pitched treble that JL stuff produces..
If you really want the best product for your money, JL amplifiers are one of the best choices that can be made... thier loudspeakers certainly are competetive, but a discerning listener could easily find comparable or better stuff for less..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic