icon

speaker opinions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jammybstard 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone have an opinion of which of these two speakers to buy to replace my door speakers?
I have a sub in the boot and 12dB 150HZ bass blockers fitted to the curent door speakers.
speaker opinions? - Last Post -- posted image.
Clarion SRC1315 - £22.99 Including VAT - Car Audio Custom-Fit coaxial 2way speakers *Reproduction system : Custom-fit coaxial 2-way *MIPP cone woofer : 130 mm *Metallised PEI balanced-drive tweeter : 25 mm *Powerful strontium magnet for dynamic bass response *Designed for direct OEM replacement *Sound tuning for European cars *Music peak power : 120W *Continuous power : 30W *Fs : 90Hz *Qts : 1.11 *Vas : 3.7Litres *Frequency response : 40 ~ 30,000Hz *Efficiency : 90db/W/m
or
speaker opinions? - Last Post -- posted image.
Alpine SXE-1325S *SXE1325S £19.99 Including VAT Car Audio 5-1/4" (13cm) Coaxial 2-Way Speaker. An easy, low-cost upgrade to high-quality sound Built to precise size specifications to match the speaker mountings of specific vehicle models, the Custom Fit line are a quick and easy way to get Alpine-quality sound into your car - [Custom Fit Speaker Features] • Max Power 200W • RMS Power 35W • Frequency Response: 70Hz-20kHz • Sensitivity: 92dB/W/m • Neodymium Magnet • Mylar-Titanium Balanced Dome Tweeter • Ferrite Magnet • Long Fibre Natural Pulp Cone • High Polymer Foam Edge - In Car Entertainment from LowCostCarAudio **Nationwide UK Mainland Installation Service ***Conditions Apply see Terms & Conditions.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
I am not a big fan of Clarion speakers.  I'd have to say the Alpines.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
jammybstard 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
I think I will.
I'm using the Alpines at the moment, they are great, but I blew them.
Ruts DC vs the Mad proffesor killed my cones!
So i've fitted some Bass blocking x-overs into the doors, well I say into, They are sat in the door pokets at the moment with all the wires on the inside, looks a bit Frakenstien.
Also to see what happens, i've attempted a bit of a repair job on the speakers with Locktight, I hope it will keep me going untill i get some new ones.
r_wern 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Not to be rude, but the Clarions are awful!  I sold them before and installed them. Never sounded even close to ok in any car or application.  Why not try Focal 2-ways if you are stuck on a coaxial? They are high dollar, but worth the price.  You should ditch the bass blockers in my opinion.  They can add distortion.  A higher quality pair of speakers will handle power better and not distort as easily
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't go with Clarion! You should really try the Infinity Kappas. Not too bad of a price and if your looking for some awesome coaxials then Infinity is where its at!
jammybstard 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 5:21 AM / IP Logged  
The Clarions are out then!
Can anyone give me some part codes for the Infinitys and the Focals?
I like the Bass blockers, the add clarity to the front speakers by making them concetrate on the mids and highs.
I'm going to add some polyproplene caps in parrallel with the Electrolytics, apparently this helps reduce distortion!
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
If you buy decent fronts and power them correctly then the bass blockers and such are all wasted as decent fronts will sound clear and not distort whatsoever. Bass blockers are a crutch for crappy speakers to try and make them sound a bit better since they can't handle playing the tone in the first place.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
jugga-nemo 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Bass blockers are cheap, passive crossovers, meant for low watt systems (usually under 50 watts RMS). They are not a "crutch for crappy speakers", but rather an easy solution to cut out the low frequencies that ANY midrange front speaker can't handle. I usually use them when someone doens't want to wire in a seperate amp with a built in electronic crossovers for the cabin speakers.
r_wern 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
If you wan the focal model numbers, I would suggest going to their website.  The offer a few different models.  Also, check out Memphis Car Audio.  They make a pretty decent 2-way as well.  It's the Mclass series.  They won't sound as good as the Focal's, but the cost about half as much.
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  

There is two speakers in 5.25" that I would recommend. The model numbers are:

1) Infinity Kappa 52.7i   and     2) Infinity Kappa 52.5l

The 52.7i would sound a little better, but they are also a little more money.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic