icon

making a clock, need to time leds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stockgp 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
i know this is an odd place for a post about this, but i don't know where else to get help.
i'm making a clock, and i'm going to use led's to mark the hours.
what i hope to do, is have each led light up for the hour it represents and then switch to the next one. i also want all 12 leds to flash a couple times at each hour.
i know this sounds confusing so i'll try to clarify. if it's noon, i want the led at the 12 position to light and stay lit until it is one o'clock. at that point the led in the 1 position should light and so forth.
on the hour, i want all 12 leds to flash, kind of like a chime.
i'm thinking i will use a normal battery-operated clock mechanism for the clock, and use as ac to dc converter to power the leds and timer, hence the reason i posted thtis here.
i don't want to get in trouble with the mods, so if this is not okay here opint me to where i can get some help and lock this one up.
thanks in advance
blazinred99 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page5.htm

Scroll half way down until you see 28 led clock timer.  Also the 72 Led Clock below it  might work.  Im not sure how you would get the leds to all flash.  But let me know if this works.            -Mike-

stockgp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
looks like that will work all except for the flaching part. thanks a lot!
tbird9290 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Im not the smartest but... doesn't some clocks have the chip that makes it chime at noon 12 times? Maybe if someone has one of thoses clocks broken or not the chip would probley still work wouldn't it? Just an idea...
This is what I Think doesn't mean I am wrong doesn't mean im right. I Make my ride look the way I want it I don't care what everyone else thinks... All Eyes On Me -2Pac
stockgp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
well i thought of that, and i actually got one. the problem is is that the shaft for the hands is too short to fit through what i am making the clock out of.
i've been lookinf for replacement motors with the chime feature but i've had no luck yet.
tbird9290 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Im not a clock person but all i have is ideas so bare with me here... Can you extend the shaft? im not sure just an idea
This is what I Think doesn't mean I am wrong doesn't mean im right. I Make my ride look the way I want it I don't care what everyone else thinks... All Eyes On Me -2Pac
stockgp 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
not any way that i can see. it's just two little plastic sleeves for the hour and minute hands and a metal shaft in the middle for the seconds

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic