icon

16v Batteries, Ins/Outs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dragorus 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Was wondering I have amps that will handle 16volts but my main question is will the rest of my electronics and electrical system be hurt by the 16volts??....If so how do i isolate this.....I think the rest of my system should be ok but I wanted to check with the pro's...Let me know whats up....Thanx
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
good question, I am also waiting for some big guys answer for this. I know alot of drag people use 16 volt batterys for the ignition and spark. do they use some sort of 12 volt thing so all the lights and other things run on 12-14 or what?
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
Dragorus 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yea kinda wanna know whats the max a car can handle.....That way I know if I need to isolate my amps to strictly run on the 14 or 16 volt batteries...But then it makes you wonder about capacitors....the one I have say 24 volt on it.........and nothing in the car acts weird.....so makes you wonder if anyone can really answer this...
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
Dragorus wrote:
Yea kinda wanna know whats the max a car can handle.....That way I know if I need to isolate my amps to strictly run on the 14 or 16 volt batteries...But then it makes you wonder about capacitors....the one I have say 24 volt on it.........and nothing in the car acts weird.....so makes you wonder if anyone can really answer this...
That's because the car is still running on 14.4 volts. 24v is the MAXIMUM voltage that cap can handle without popping, it doesn't mean it "puts out" or "makes" 24 volts.
The electronics in most cars could possibly handle an overvoltage situation, for a while...
16v/14.4v=1.1
Thats a 10% overvoltage, which will push 10% more current through your car's electronics, for a total of 20% more heat... Bad mojo... If your car's electronics are RATED at (for example) 100w of dissapation for the computer, and it is running at 95% of that already (a reasonable assumption, giving that manufacturers dont want to put any more overbuilt parts than necessary into a product - it's too expensive) suddenly that same computer is dissapating (around) 115 watts of energy. It'll probably live for a little while, but it WILL fail sooner than is necessary.
Yes, drag competitors use highr voltages than usual, but the systems are built with these higher voltages in mind... I wouldn't try it on my daily driver...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sonicjj 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
I've Been competing in DB Drag for years with my extreme class S-10 blazer. I have 12 class D (not the amp) 16 volt batteries in the back ( I had to relocate the gas tank)  After trying to run the truck with the 16v system i had problems with the trucks computer from over voltage problems. A 12 volt battery is charged at 14 to 15 volts so what do you think a 16 volt system is charged at??  I ended up running 2 systems in the truck with a seperate alternator system for the audio batteries and the stock alternator and battery for the truck.  This isnt really practical for a daily driver. Another option you have is that there are batteries on the market that have both 12 and 16 volt taps on them for this purpose. one brand is "turbo start". Though if you are still running with your stock alternator its going to charge at around 14 volts anyway so the battery wont ever recharge to its potential and so whats the point.  Unless you are competing and trying to squeeze out another tenth of a db, I would'nt really bother, you probbably wont hear much of a difference.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic