icon

MTX 801D amp problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
i have a MTX thunder audio 801D amp that has a problem with it and i cant figure it out. the amp gust dosent turn on. i took the amp apart and sow that the positive and negative connections that go into the circuit bored were loose. so i took it out to my car and hocked it up and pressed down on the pos/neg terminal and it worked so i was like cool i know how fix it now. so i took the circuit board out and flipped it over so i could re-solder the connections back into place and i did so gust fine. then i put it back together and took it out to the car thinking that it would work gust fine. got it all hock up and went to turn on the car and as soon as the amp got a remote signal, all the fuses blow. it has 3 25 amp fuses in there. I'm going to get some pics up as soon as i can. please help i don't want to get ride of and amp that i know works. and i would like to learn how to fix amps anyway. thank you in advance
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
I know i have all of the power hocked up right and the negative to. and i have a amp that is weaker in there now and it works fine. the ground is kind of connected to good could that be the problem. and i know i hocked everything else right. but i still don't know what is wrong with it. could it be that the ground isn't able to handle the load so all the fuses blow to protect the amp. somebody please give me some input on what they think could be the problem.
and another thing that is buging me is wy the fuses blow as soon as it was turned on.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
If anybody needs more info to help me solve this problem gust post and say what you need and i will post it as soon as possible.
Aaron
o sorry i messed up in the post above. were i said that the ground is connected to good, it is supposed to be the ground isn't connected to good. sorry
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Why isn't the ground connected too good?  It seems to me that the fuses blew because you created a short with the solder.  You should really keep the lid on the amplifier and take it to an electonics shop for repair.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
i don't understand. how would i create a short buy repairing the positive connection to the circuit board. and the reason the ground isn't to good is because this is a friends car that i tested it in. if it was my car the ground would be securely connected. but the thing is the amp was working fine before i soldered it. is there any way you could help me to fix this thing my self. i don't really want to take it to a electronics shop because i would have to drive 2 hours to get it fixed. i know that solder isn't the best conductor of electricity do i have to get some kind of special stuff to fix this thing. i have a lot of people around my area that gust have there amps fale on them so they gust give them away. so i would really like to learn how to fix them my self. could you or somebody else teach me how to fix these things and help me fix this thing to. or gust give me a website so i can get started on learning how to fix these things. but more importantly help me fix this thing. thanks stev for your reply
Aaron
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

Aaron, there are some book links on this site that are helpful with electronic repairs.  It's a whole lotta education.  I can't repair amplifiers and don't think I ever will be able to.  I'm still two years (full time!) trying to understand just the basics of audio and associated electronics.  And that's with a background as a kid with a Dad who fixed electronics for a living.  There's a whole lotta test equipment needed!

This is the thing, though:  if you take an amp apart and solder something, and then the fuses blow as soon as you power it up...and they didn't blow before that....well, that tells you that whatever you did is the problem.  I would, if I were you, buy a de-soldering gun, learn to use it on something else, and then take off the solder that you put on it.

Why aren't you testing it in the situation in which it normally is used?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
thank you stev I apreasheate the feedback and will see what i can do about getting a de-soldering gun. and the reason i didnt test it in the situation that i normally test it in is because i don't have a car to test it in. and my friend that has his stuff installed right with all the grounds and power wires done right isn't able to come to my add at the moment so i had to use what i have at my disposal. and the reason i don't have a car is because i don't have a business that i have found yet that will give me a part time job. maybe you can help me in that toMTX 801D amp problem - Last Post -- posted image.
Aaron
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
the short he is referring to could be from the power wire solder to the negative wire, or the solder got onto something else.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic