the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

foot in door to work at a shop?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cirrusly_fast 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone. Some of you have seen me on here a few times. I have a questions about how to get my foot in the door towards working at a shop. Eventually I want to have my own shop. I have very little experience but I want to learn from the guys that work in a shop, but no one wants to hire someone who doesn't know enough.
I plan on attending one of those Mobile Audio Schools for the certifications and to learn more about audio. I know enough to not sound like an idiot, but there is still a lot I don't know.
I do know HU installs, amp installs, fiberglassing (only 1 project, but my car will be my project car and I have about three projects planned), everything I have in my car I did myself short of putting in my alarm. I won't mess with alarms until I am tought by a pro.
So how would someone like me go about trying to get a job at a shop?
I applied at circuit city and best buy. we'll see what happens. I wouldn't mind being that guy that cleans up and is basically a laborer for hardly any $ I just want to get real experience.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
System: 1-12" Orion H2, Crossfire VR2000D,Odyssey C2150 battery
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

Circuit City and Best Buy are definitely the way to go.  Be persistant- if you don't hear back in 7-10 days or so, call them.  It's my experience that some of the best installers I've met actually work at one of these two places.  The reason being is that they have worked at custom shops, and weren't happy for some reason.  Maybe the boss didn't like them and kept giving them less and less labor, or the hassle of customers haggling over install prices was getting old fast.  Whatever the reason, they now enjoy the stability that comes with hourly pay- even if it's not great.  You want to try and find a location with one of these knowledgeable installers. There's a good chance that no custom shop will hire you without professional experience anyway, so don't waste your money on one of those schools unless you just want to do so.  If you want, you can take the MECP certification test at your library, just to show you have drive.  You can look here for more info: http://www.mecp.com/home.asp.

Later, if you feel the need to move on elsewhere you can.  If you're comfortable staying where you are that's fine too.  You can always do custom installs on the side to get more experience.  Don't burn the bridges you form.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
cirrusly_fast 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
well the problem now with circuit city is that their application systems are online. those online apps are sent to some other company that compiles them together and then the store looks at them. So I'm not sure calling the store will help.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
geepherder 
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I know, I dealt with the same headaches when I was looking for a job.  It still can't hurt.
cirrusly_fast 
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
naw, maybe I'll call them. If I'm persistant enough maybe they'll just give me an interview either way.
So I'm guessing that starting my own business is a better step.
Don't get me wrong. I know I'm still a rookie and since I just got out of the army my main priority is to go to school. Major in business. However, if I do go to one of those schools, then start my own business without having worked for someone then the school is a good choice. I'm also not going to try to start a business where the market is already full. I know of a smaller town my friend lives in and the installer their is not that great. I almost believe that if I had more business sense I could already take him out of business.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
geepherder 
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

I can't recommend that without any experience.  Working for someone else is the best way to get that experience while you attend school.  Then, maybe ten years down the road, after you've done all your research, you can think about starting up a business.  There have been some good discussions on here about starting a business and what it takes.  Do a search and you should come up with plenty of info.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Go to a local shop, meet the installers and the owner or manager. Tell them that you are there to be their beyatch and that they can abuse you in any way, shape or form as it relates to their store. This means that you will start by going into the crapper (right after heavy use of it) and clean it with a toothbrush. You will use paper towels and spit and clean out the garbage cans, you will pick up wire ends from the floor with your teeth. Convey to them that they need a shop beyatch and that you are the one they need. Convey to them that you have researched the other stores in the area and you do not want to be a beyatch at the other stores. You must know something about that store, how they operate and why you want to be there. Let them know that you know exactly how busy they can get and in the coming summer months when business picks up, that they will need someone just like you, a beyatch. Infer on them that you will volunteer your time and do not expect anything in return except for patience, understanding and the ability to learn. DO NOT give up on a job to do something like this. If you really want into this business, your loyalty must come first. Meaning, first is your loyalty to your existing employer, then your family at home. Finally loyalty to your volunteer time. Eventually a good shop may recognize that you may have the potential to learn. Throw what you know out the window as it no longer applies. Remember that you are the beyatch and you will take it how they give it. So you will learn their techniques and their way of doing business. Do not argue with them about it, learn it as they give it to you. Do not expect anything large, expect to do the crap work first. If you are not good enough to clean a bathroom, how can you be good enough to work on a paying customers vehicle.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ya i was the bitch for like 2 months before i stared doing real installs. Plus 5 dollars an hour starting pay(I was an apprentice) But at that time i was a freshman in high school.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
Bring me beer on a Tues. evening (Beer Night).... then we talk.
Most shops have a night a week where they are open later, typically referred to as beer night. Usually reps are there, salesmen, etc. good bitch/moan/BS type evening. If you are in well with a shop that does this, pop in on a beer night with a 12pack.... relax, feel it out. Do this a couple times to get "in" with the staff.... ask a few times if they are looking for anyone, etc. Yeah you may be the cleaning lady or hoodpin kid for a while, but after a few months, you may get to use tools if they like you.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
cirrusly_fast 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
my last 4 years in the army is enough of a resume to prove I can clean a toilet and be a bitch. I'm not letting that happen again without mutual respect.
However, on a different note, I went to a more well known shop, who unfortunately is not as reputable. They seem interested in me. I'll see tomarrow when I go back to convince them to hire me. I figure if I can go in and one of the employees looks at me like I got a dick growing out of my head when I ask for 2 200amp ANL fuses, then I might be a good or better addition to their staff.
Now, they're not the butt of the cities jokes, but I heard some stories. None the less, if I can at least learn a few things from them, it more than I can get from sitting here. I told them I've done fiberglass before and the seemed interested.
Go ahead and pop my bubble, but this is a step forward. Two things can happen here. I could be refused by the next shop because of the reputation of the shop, or I can tell them that I was just starting out, and I went to them because I realized the old shops flaws and be hired knowing still more than I do now. If I'm turned down, I will just continue on to the next shop.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic