icon

2001 Honda Civic, Where to tap for power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amitig 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
I'm halfway installing Omnifi DMP1 mp3 player in my 2001 Honda Civic and I'm stuck at this stage. I can't figure out where to pull the power for the wiring adapter that came with the unit. It has four wires Red (+12V ignition), Yellow (+12V ACC), Orange (Dimmer) and Black (ground). There is a blue 20-pin connector that plugs in behind the current radio/cassette player (OEM), so my guess is I need to tap into the wires that go in this connector. But I can't find the wiring diagram for this 20-pin connector. Please help!
Thanks.
ky1960 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
you can tap power wires under ignition harness and the ground wire drill with a tap crew to chasiss ground
kvn
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Probably just a silly mistake, but yellow should be constant power.  Also, orange is usually illumination (not dimmer- big difference), so check your manual to be sure.  You can go to either the radio or ignition harness for these (I usually go to the radio), just test the wires with a multimeter first.  If you don't have a multimeter, now's a great time to get one.  Set your meter to DC volts (on a scale of at least 12 volts), touch the negative probe to ground (outside of cigarette lighter plug), and probe away.  Obviously constant will show 12 volts at all times.  Accessory will show 12 volts with the key in the accessory position.  Connect the illumination wire (if that's what it is) to a parking light wire (shows 12 volts with the parking lights on, regardless of the position of the dimmer switch).  Take the black wire directly to a ground.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
amitig 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info! I'll check the colors again, I'm very new at this. I think the radio harness would be preferable, since the wires on my adapter are not too long.
A newbie question: How do I locate the radio harness?
Thanks
Amit
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
It's plugged into the back of the radio.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Shawn123421 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

on the radio harness:

constant = WHITE/ red

ignition = yellow/red

ground = black

illumination = RED / black

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Here's a silly idea... Spend sixteen bucks at you local Circuit City, and GET AN ADAPTER. You'll thank me for the suggestion, when you want to put your OEM radio back in to sell the car...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
amitig 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
I did consider the wiring adapter, but I'm not planning to remove the OEM radio. I'm installing an mp3 player that plugs into the cd-player socket behind the radio via an RCA adapter. Is there a way I can still use a wiring adapter?
Thanks
Amit
Shawn123421 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2006 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
the wiring adapter is useless if your keeping the factory HU, just tap in the colour wires i told you in the other post
amitig 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
I most likely will, this weekend. I've borrowed a multimeter, just to make sure..
thanks
amit

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic