icon

99 Explorer OEM Alarm/Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ckwrights 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I hope someone here can help me. I just installed a factory Alarm/Remote Start/RKE in my 1999 Ford Explorer. Everything seems to work fine, except the Remote Start.
Initially, I thought the problem was my connection for what FORD calls the "HVAC 1 output", but from every source I can find, I have it hooked up properly. I was able to successfuly learn the tach.
While trying to remote start, the engine does turn over, but it will not start. It makes three attemps to start. None of them sucessful.
Thanks in advance for the help.....
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Key securitY? Ford uses pats via a little chip in the top corner of the key. If this key is not regonized durring starting. the car will not stay running.
If you're not sure, stick your key in the ignition, start it with the remote start. and see if it works
if so, get a universal transponder bypass
if it still doesn't work.
i'd relearn tach a little higher.
ckwrights 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I have the PATS Securilock bypass installed. Is there a way to confirm that it is installed/programmed properly? Part of the instructions to program the PATS interface includes starting with the remote starter, which obviously is not working at the moment. Also, in the instructions there is a note refering to an "add key" mode that may have been disabled? Is there a way to check this/enable this?
Also, when you say relearn the tach a littler higher, do you mean at a higher RPM??
Thanks
ckwrights 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
I've been trying to relearn the tach, but cannot get a reliable tach signal. I am currently attached to the tan/wht wire at the ignition coil. I have tested it with a multimeter at about 1.8 volts AC. When I run the test procedure to learn the tach, the horn beeps once while starting the engine, but no confirmation honks while the engine is running.
Is there a better place to get a tach signal, or does it sound like something else is hooked up wrong?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Observe the red THEFT light in the dash when attempting a remote start.
--Light comes on solid, then goes out: Your bypass is right.
--Light is flashing rapidly: Your bypass has a problem.
TIP: Unplug bypass, insert good key in ignition, attempt remote start. If it still won't remote start, there are other problems with the install.
ckwrights 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
      Observe the red THEFT light in the dash when attempting a remote start.
--Light comes on solid, then goes out: Your bypass is right.
--Light is flashing rapidly: Your bypass has a problem.
TIP: Unplug bypass, insert good key in ignition, attempt remote start. If it still won't remote start, there are other problems with the install.
Well, my theft light is flashing rapidly, so my bypass has a problem. Is there a way to check if it is the unit itself or if it was installer error99 Explorer OEM Alarm/Remote Start - Last Post -- posted image.
I did unplug the bypass, and tried to start with a good key. The car powers on (I hear the fuel pump run) then the horn honks twice, and no attempt to start.
I have double checked all my wires and everything looks to be in place. Unfortunately, the FORD directions give no troubleshooting options. Anyone have a good resource to begin troubleshooting my install??
Thanks for the help so far, I'm about ready to uninstall and chock it up to "experience". So much for my wife's Valentine--I guess the flowers will have to do for now....99 Explorer OEM Alarm/Remote Start - Last Post -- posted image.
ckwrights 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Well I have re- re-checked my wires. I had one wrong--the unlock motor (+). Also, I am unsure of the factory disarm wire. It is supposed to be a GREEN/ violet wire at a 4-pin connector in the kick panel. I cannot find a connector, but I did find 4 GREEN/ violet wires in the kick panel. Is it one of these or any of these?
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
meter the suspected wire(s) while turning the key in the drivers door lock

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic