icon

What Size Cap for 1099 Watts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
altbs 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

I may just upgrade the alt then since I am thinking about adding two more 7500's I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for the extra chargin cushion, I am wondering however if a larger alt will affect my gas milage or is it pretty much irrelevent considering the weight I'll have in the back with the subs, amps, enclosure, monitors and computer

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
You shouldn't notice a difference in fuel economy. Hauling around the amps and the subs already took care of your mileage. If you are going to add more amps, you don't have too many choices. Don't forget to upgrade your main battery ground and you should have a min. of a #2 AWG off the Alt. to the battery. The Big Three; learn it, know it, install it! Unless you listen to the system with vehicle off, a second battery is not suggested.
altbs 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
I already intended to upgrade all of the wiring to 1/0 gauge just to be sure. Thanks for the advice. If I could bother you one more time for a small piece of knowledge. I was thinking of running a 1/0 ground wire directly off of the battery to ground all of the audio components too, is that recommended or would it be a waste of pretty expensive wire and time?
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
I have heard two schools of thought on the subject. Your vehicle's frame contains alot of metal, steel. Not the best conductor, however the frame has soo much metal it is acceptable. Every install I have done has been using the vehicle frame. Strip off the paint on the grounding spot on the frame. Bolt on your ground wire with heavy duty crimps Repaint the bare metal. Don't use seat bolts! Look for posts reguarding grounds.
Other's have run wire directly from the battery ground to the Amp. Is there an advantage?, depends on the vehicle construction or the installer. More money, time, materials etc.
I'm running #1 AWG welding cable with a 150A fuse off the stock battery with a 160Amp alternator to Zapco C2k-3.0,4.0,6.0. and have zero noise problems and zero dimming. #1 AWG from custom ground block to frame with 1/2" bolt. Cables from Alt to battery, Battery to frame are all #1 AWG. Good Luck!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic