icon

Is a high class amp really necessary?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have bin wondering about the amount of a difference you get with a high class amp hooked up to a sub in comparison to a mid class one? Is there really an audible difference in them other then one telling the truth about there rms ratings, and the other blowing there's up. I have read about the sq in the sub being better on the high class amp but is it really a difference that is like WOW that sounds so much better? And I'm talking about subs not the tweets and mids. Do yall think it is worth the extra money to get the high class amp? Is there a "mid class" amp that yall think is gust as good or near as good as the high class amps in build quality and performance?
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

This may depend on who you talk to. IE: Is it the slick commission sales person who knows how to sell the brand of the month to double his commission cheque, or is it a industry proffessional who knows what they are talking about. Personally, I would look at your budget and then find the best match to your sub(s) within that budget. Then we would take a look at what else there may be that is a little bit more, what would it offer. To me this question can be answered with a yes, however, it all depends on who is doing the talking to the person that is asking.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
I am talking about the truth on mater. I'm not talking about the opinion of some sleazeball that is trying to sell his "special amp". I am the one that those people are scared of, I'm there worst nightmare of audio. I CANT STAND those kinds of people that are gust trying to sap money of inconspicuous people and i like to prove them wrong. But back to what i was talking about the truth of the mater is there really a BIG difference in the two? Is it really worth the money to get the higher quality amp (im gusting that the answer would be yes) FOR your sub after you have already chosen the sub you are using? And i don't really let those guys talk to me i listen to what they are saying and if they don't know what they are talking about I blow them off and go and make my own opinion. And i do know what you mean by the opinions of people and i take that into consideration. Thankyou for your post.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Aaron, a better amp is also not about who has more power. It may be about who runs tigher tolerances on the components used in the build of the amp. It can be about who has a superior crossover. Who's power supply has a better ability to provide god awful amounts of current. It may be which one has a better ability to remain cool. What about a above average protection circuit. Even take a look at the new Digital Zapco series and see the sheer flexibility that a series like that may offer. So in my opinion, yes, a good amp like a Zapco or Eclipse will clean the clock of a basic Phoenix Octane R or Kenwood any day of the week. I just finished installing a Phoenix Octane amp, it claims a 80w x 2 rms power rating with a 25 amp fuse. Now the Eclipse EA2212 also has a 25 amp fuse and is claiming a 50w rms x 2 power rating as well. So either the Eclipse is massively underrated or the Phoenix massively overrated. As I know the Eclipse line and should one look at other comparable amplifiers, we would find that a 25 amp fuse can support 50w rms x 2, this leaves the Kleenex Gold looking massively overrated. They don't have a magic power supply, just plain overrated. So look carefully at the amps that you choose for the task at hand. A good amp will no doubt be more $ but will also provide performance that the other cheaper one cannot match.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for clearing that up.
Ill hold you on that deal on the 6 months of training.Is a high class amp really necessary? - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic