icon

amp playing music not just bass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t-roy81 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
i had two legacy predator 4000 watt max/ 600 rms x 1 each pushing an audiobahn flame q1206t, they blew and i thought it was all the subs fault but i realize now that it may have been the amps... i didnt know how to set the amps correctly before but i got it to where it didnt seem to be distorting, those subs blew end of story, no more crying, i put 2 memphis M1's in a sealed box, no matter where i set the gain/level/hpf/lpf it still plaued the music, i had it switched to play only bass, my friend thinks that that couldve been what blew my audiobahns. is that probably what happened? how can i fix this problem? probably an outside equalizer, right? how much can i get one of those for? where? would it hurt the memphis's if i play them like that?
Oh Man Theres Troy
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
use an active crossover(not passive} this will adjust the freq. before it get to the amp.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

You know by now how to set the gains, and if you're not sure, you know how to find the info in these archived threads.  So, take care of the gain first.

Use the LPF for the subs.  Some amps have steeper crossover slopes that minimize the amount of higher freq music that you can hear from the subs, and some amps have less sophisticated filters that, when set, will still allow a fair amount of "music" coming from the subs.  This is in the design and build of the amplifier.  It will not hurt your subs to play these higher freqs;  the only problem, possibly, is that it will adversely affect the soundstage from your listening position.

If you are relying entirely on subs to make a sound system, this poorly built LPF could be a nuisance.  But if you have amplified front speakers in the car as well, the little bit of highs coming from the subs shouldn't be too much of a detriment to the overall sound.

BTW, the choice to make in upgrades?  Don't add a crossover or other device in the signal path.  Instead, upgrade the amplifier.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2006 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

If you have activated the LPF and set it to 100Hz or less and you still "hear music" through your subs, the LPF in the amp is shot .  Legacy is a marginal quality company so I am not surprised.  If the LPF is out, the rest of the amp may soon follow.

Support the12volt.com
t-roy81 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
thank you everybody, its a very low music playing, you cant even hear it unless your in the trunk, there is a switch that says lpf hpf and all on it and it sounds different every time so im pretty sure the lpf is working, im borrowing these subs from a friend until i have the money to get mine so i really dont want to mess them up
Oh Man Theres Troy
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
If the LPF (low pass filter) is working, turn it on and leave it on.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic