icon

2002 ford explorer, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pitoaudiovisual 
Copper - Posts: 388
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

my friend installed a valet remote start to a 02 Ford explorer and now his customer said that the 4wd isn't working and just wanted to know if the alarm would have anything to do with. Please let me know if the 4wd would be damaged by the alarm.  He never know if it was working after the alarm was installed cause it didn't snow but now after the snow storm they found out. Thanx in advance...

Confidence is the key to any project!!
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

Well, maybe.

I know the GM trucks have a hidden ignition wire in the harness which is directly related to the 4wd systems. If not powered durring remote start this will cause failure.

Very possibly if an ignition wire is missed (or in the case of desiels, the accessory on durring wait to start), Then you could have yourself that problem.

Another dumb thing i see is people not putting the plug back on after radio installs in those ford trucks like that. where the 4wd is in the radio housing area.

I'd just say nothing is out of the question, but as long as the system was hooked up properly (i don't remember that ford needing more than 1 ignition) then you should be fine and in the clear.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
Just an FYI.
I did a 562T in a 2001 Explorer with the automatic 4 wheel drive system not too long ago. Everything went very smoothly, no problems at all. Owner pulls out of the garage, calls me within 5 minutes and states that the 4x4 indicator in his dash is blinking on and off, not fast, just steady blinking. If he pushed the switch on the dash, it did not respond. I instruct him to return to the garage just to make sure I did not jar anything loose. After a quick visual inspection, everything appeared to be fine. I disconnected the battery for 2 minutes or so, reconnected and all is well, has been since December. He has used the 4x4 since and all is good.
The only thing that I can think of that caused it, is MAYBE the module that controls the 4x4 system in the truck did not completely finish running it's self test while I was testing the remote start (may not have run long enough?) and locked itself up. This is just a guess as I am by no means a mechanic, but just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery solved the problem for me.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
though it's a newer vehicle, the 4wd module could have gone. my aunt has an 02 or 03 and this happened to her conveniently with the last snow storm. wasn't exactly cheap
05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
do what twelvoltz did and you should be fine, this has happened to me also

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic