icon

stiffening capacitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  
Caps are real cool to look at, but as it says above you don't need one. You need a ho alt .                                                                                                                                       I run a battcap. 400ampbatt 6 fared cap all in one, BUT I also run a 200amp alt. I also run 2 1000ca  Duralast batt under the hood. Do I need the battcap? No not really. Do I like the way it looks? Yes, and it ain't hurting anything. So if you want a cap, get one. Just make sure you have the ho alt and the big three first.
Big Dave
jt824 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info...since I dont have a HO Alternator I will not get any caps...
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
You don't need an HO Alt to run caps, there just generalizing. Your alternator just has to put out enough power to supply the drain on the system. So if it can, by all means get one if you wish. They come with a resistor to charge it before you perminently attach it and it also allows you to discharge it in a controled matter, i.e not into your body.
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Upgrade all the wires to and from your car battery with 0g... If that dosent work then get an H/O ALT.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
A capacitor is essentially a quick discharging battery, if you think of a battery that stores energy. The ALTERNATOR creates energy from the engine and it is this that supplies your car with power. If it cant supply it with enough, then it will draw from the battery. The battery's only job is to start the car, and keep the clock going when the car is off.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
From my understanding of caps (i'm learning so it may not be really accurate) they can help by the bandaid effect but other things should be adressed before buying a cap.
With the cap right before the amp it allows extra current to be drawn from the cap before voltage drops so it does smooth out the voltage drops...HOWEVER the only way a cap can do that is if the ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) is less than the resistance between the power source (alt) to the amp...if the resistance between the source and the amp is less than the resistance of the cap, the cap will be bypassed and be useless.
U should do everything u can first to eliminate voltage drops (due to poor connections, improper wire size, etc..) and maximize current flow to the amp. If a cap charges as quick as it discharges then there is no need for a cap as u should be able to keep up with demand. Different amps also lend a hand as to wether a cap will help or not, a good high end amp will have a bank of caps which will be able to keep up with the changing power demand a cheaper amp will not and will likely benifit from a cap...also the guy running 600W through 8guage will benifit more than the guy running 1/0guage. There are too many people saying caps are helping to pass caps off as completely useless...the thing to know is when to use one (when all other options are ruled out) and what to look for in a good one.
There are way too many arguments about caps and i'm trying to find middle ground, i dont think i can get there untill i have actually tested different setups, different ways and personally experienced the differences.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic