icon

Overpowering a subwoofer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mukrainetz 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

I have neglected to include the brand and model numbers to get a general idea first off of how this equipment 'should' handle the power. I have been bashed on my choice of equipment on other sites but since reading the posts on this forum in particular have come to the conclusion this site and its members are VERY much more informed than the others.

I purchased two Volfenhag ZX-4712 DVC subs and one Volfenhag ZX-8400 2 channel bridgable amp. I also recently purchased a new headunit, a Sony  CDX-F605X. I got all these pieces at a third or less of retail.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

I hope you don't think it's bashing your choices to tell you this, but Volfenhag is not a good brand and they grossly overrate their gear.  It is important that you know this so you do not expect too much from it and can keep it operating for a while, as pushing it too hard is a sure way to create early failure, and then your good deal won't seem so good!  Overpowering a subwoofer? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

With that gear DEFINATELY do not push the amp too hard.  Use no less than a 4-ohm load.  It should probably put out a clean 200 or 300 watts when bridged (the ratings are crap on that amp.)  Those speakers will handle no more than that, so you are safe operating this way.  Be EXTRA careful setting the gain (be sure you do it RIGHT using test tones and since the ratings are crap on this amp set it by ear, not using a voltmeter) and then do not try to tweak the gain up when you realize this setup does not pound the way the specs make you think it should.  Set it up correctly and it should provide some thump for you.  Don't expect it to be too musical...

Support the12volt.com
mukrainetz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

That opinion is great, what I meant by 'bashing' was people saying im a complete idiot for picking this stuff up etc etc. Like I said, im new to audio and the sony subs were cheaper (though a well established brand) and I figured I would give them a chance, how else do companies expand and get better if nobody buys their stuff? I guess anyway, thats my opinion.

I dont and didnt expect to blow the back window out of my car just wanted some bass and looks, I have spent a lot of time designing a box and amp rack in CAD to fit my car - I cant believe the wealth of information on this site as well as the helpfull info from the members. Thanks to everyone.

One other quick question about the gain, can someone provide a link or info about the gain and setting it up properly.

I should be finished the box and have it primed and ready for vinyl or other finish in the next couple of weeks, is there a place on here to post photos for comments?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Cool.  The search function at the top of the forum is your friend.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/search.asp?KW=gain&SM=1&SI=TC&FM=2&OB=1

Support the12volt.com
mukrainetz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Awsome, I have some reading to do......
Nxt g 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Hey i would just like to add my two cents i kno this is ma first post and all and dont bash me for beeing a "noob" cuz ive been installin systems since i was 4 (no lie i had a little toy peg perego motorized plastic jeep which i hooked up a system to) but thats a whole different story but the reason you have heard it is better to over power then underpower is u got it backwards its better to overpower subs and speakers so u get clearer sound and underpower amps and hu just thought i should add that
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
from what i've seen/heard/read Nxt i've seen that many subs out there distort w/ an overpowering (big overpowering like over 200 watts that is), i'm comfortable giving my subs an extra 100 watts (which is actually my current set up) over the rated rms, i just don't pound the crap out of them for extended periods and they do fine. It's ok to underpower, just remember don't turn that gain up and send a distorted signal to the sub, it'll kill a sub fast, and i've never read any on the vol's amps so i would be careful on that, but have a friend that has two of their 10" subs and they handle their rated power fine, but like DY said, i wouldn't push them past that.
As far as companies and their products, yes sony is a well established brand but they have their hands in everything (amps subs, speakers, tv's, recievers, stereos, etc), you might do better goin with a company that's more focused on one thing, like MTX, i like their stuff, amps and subs mostly. JL use to be a really great brand IMO, might still be, jsut haven't heard any of their latest stuff, they did subs and speakers only for a long time. Just depends upon what you're lookin for and how much money you got.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

Nxt g wrote:
Hey i would just like to add my two cents i kno this is ma first post and all and dont bash me for beeing a "noob" cuz ive been installin systems since i was 4 (no lie i had a little toy peg perego motorized plastic jeep which i hooked up a system to) but thats a whole different story but the reason you have heard it is better to over power then underpower is u got it backwards its better to overpower subs and speakers so u get clearer sound and underpower amps and hu just thought i should add that

You should go back and read the information in the link that stevdrat posted on the first page, your information is flawed but explained in perfect detail in that post. Ask questions after you read the post if something seems wrong or confusing.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mukrainetz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

I have got my box situated in my car but have to make a few minor adjustments (made my measurements a little too exact and need to make a little trimming). Fitting the two twelves in a box with an amp rack down the middle in the back of my hatch has proved to be a very tight fit. I only have 21 inches of depth to work with which tapers at the top to 14 inches. Anyway, the car is wired except the new deck - I cant find a kit for it. With some modifications to things I should have things up and running in a week or two and want to post pics and let everyone here know how it worked out sound wise.  I may post some pics here anyway in the next day or two.

One other question;   can I measure the amperage draw when things are hooked up and running? is that a simple thing to do between the power and ground with a meter? Also, can I test accross the speaker terminals on the amp for voltage ?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

I suggest you post your pics in the Rides & Systems Gallery forum (although I'm not sure about rookie status rules) and bring this thread back up to provide a link to it.

Amperage draw is not simple and requires an expensive meter that will handle the task.  Voltage measurement is another story, and along with Ohm's Law can provide you with approximate power output and amperage data.  Use a digital meter, test tones recorded at 0 db, with driver disconnected.  Gains must be set already.  This is also sometimes used in helping to establish proper gain level, but I like hearing the sound of clipping instead.  If you have the test tones for the gain setting, which you should, you will already be set to measure voltage.

gain search

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic