icon

HO alt for truck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wrathchild281 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys i have about 2600 watts rms, soon to be 3800 and right now im still using my stock alternator in my 97 dodge dakota. I am planning on purchasing a high output alternator but the highest i can find is a 220amp on ebay. I was wondering if you guys think that is high enough or not for my setup, thanks.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

Is this a rewound alternator that is claiming to make this kind of power or is it a purpose built one like Stinger or Ohio Generator. If it is a rewind, run far away from it. All it is going to do is double or triple the heat signature in the same size case, end result is you buying another alternator.

You may want to look to a dual alternator system using purpose built alternators. This will require a new longer belt of course as well as a new mount manufactured to mount the second alternator in a suitable location. Before I went on this road though, I would replace my battery with the biggest, baddest, meanest one that I could find. I might also add a pair of them somewhere else at the same time. A big alternator can indeed produce a good amount of current to keep batteries charged provided that the current you are drawing does not on a permanent level exceed the capacity stored. Meaning, if you are playing the system balls to the wall all day long, no number of batteries in the world may be any good if they are not able to be recharged. If you are playing this system at a comfort level, the alternator should be able to keep the additional batteries charged.

How does the system perform as it is right now?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
wrathchild281 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

The alt i was looking at was an Iraggi alt. and im not sure if i could fit the dual setup in my truck. Ive had the system for a about a week and like after a night of playing my system for a while in the morning my i have to turn the key over a few times to get it running. suprisingly my headlights dont dim to much. After i get the alt im gonna do the big 3 and 2 or 3 yellowtops. So you think 220 is enough for like more than 300 amps i will be drawing? i have 3 jbl 1200.1's and a memphis 300 watt amp for my mids and highs.

xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

i have a supercharged  mustang with a dual alt system.the entire stereo system is connected to the rear batt and is charged by the new alt.this keeps the cars electricals seperate from the system....and what power!.im running 18 speakers including 4 15inch subs in a gt convertable.lexan box and driving a soundstream amp to 1/2 ohm. 4 amps total....serious draw....185amp alt and single batt with a 10farad cap.....nooooooooproblem. dual system my be a little harder ...but what a payoff.

XS

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Dominique makes good alts. You can rest assured his products are solid. IIRC he has a good warrenty for his alts too.
Course, I could be wrong.
wrathchild281 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

does he have a website whree i could get some prices?

jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
He sell his alternators all on ebay, just do a search for Iraggi alternators and you will find them.
Jazzy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic