icon

1993 Honda not getting 12V switched power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scythemk05 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1993 Honda Prelude. I recently bought a new head unit. Took out the old one, and to my dismay the factory harness had been cut out, and the wires had been crimped together. It didn't fit my new player so i rewired it with the new head unit's harness, but upon checking everything with a multimeter, I found that I was getting 0.2V for the switched power (red wire) when the ignition was turned, but getting the full 12V for constant power(yellow wire). Now my head unit won't play and will only accept and spit out CD's. At some point in the installation I blew the 10A fuse, and after replacing it the red wire is just dead, I guess it got fried or damaged in the short-circuit.
Is there anything I can do before I take it to some mechanic who will undoubtedly milk me for an enormous amount of money? I have heard of people tapping into (splicing from) other switched power wires, would anyone know where these wires would be on a 1993 Honda Prelude? Thanks in advance for any help or advice. It really sucks driving around with a bunch of wires sticking out of your dash.
"You're just a dot in my rearview..."
-Petey Pablo
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
I think you have your colors mixed up. Yellow with red stripe should be your switched lead. Red is illumination ( see if it powers up when you turn your lights on) White should be your constant. If you blew the fuse on the constant it should be in the fuse block under the hood, not the one in the car.
There is no such thing as free installation!
scythemk05 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Yea when i said red, i meant red on the head unit harness, it was yellow and red for the car harness. Was reading 0V with ignition switched on. And the fuse I blew was in the fuse block under the hood, changing it restored the constant power, but not the switched power, leading me to think the switched wire was damaged somehow. I called the company I purchased the head unit from and they suggested I tap into the ignition wire or some yellow accessory wire under the steering column. How difficult would this be? ANy alternative suggestions? Thanks for your help.
-Petey Pablo
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Did check the "radio" fuse in the fuse block in the car?
scythemk05 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
How would I go about accessing that?
-Petey Pablo
scythemk05 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

If you mean the RADIO fuse in the fuse box in the upper left hand corner of the engine bay under the hood, that was the fuse I replaced.

-Petey Pablo
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
There should be a second fuse block inside the car. Fuse might be labeled "audio" or "radio". The fuse you replaced under the hood is the constant, the switched should be inside the car.
scythemk05 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

You are an absolute genius I swear. I talked to 5 friends, went to 3 different forums, called my mechanic, and called the technical support guy for the car audio company I bought the unit from. None of them even suggested checking the other fuse box. Other people in forums recited horror stories about drilling through the firewall to route a switched cable to their stereo or cutting their SRS harnesses to tap into a switched power source. After you told me that the other fuse box might regulate the swtiched power I pulled up the fuse diagram and, sure enough, fuse 18 controls the stereo and the cigarette lighter, which was also switched power. Opened up my fuse box an lo-and-behold, the fuse was absolutely decimated. Replaced it, hooked up the old multimeter, reading 12.3V 1993 Honda not getting 12V switched power - Last Post -- posted image.

Thank you SO much tcss for providing me with common sense advice that saved me from countless frustrations and expenditures. I owe you a beer haha.

-Petey Pablo
customnate 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2006 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
GLAD you resolved your issue BUT REMEMBER GUYS!!!!! Even if the radio fuse wasnt blown ALWAYS ALWAY check the rest of the fuses becuase alot of times like in Acura, and Ferrari, they are all wired thru relays!!! and one fuse may control 3 or 4 things!!! so remember always check the fuses!! first step and for future refrence!! The fuse panel in ur car is under the driveer dash, pull down the padding its on the left front towards the sterring collum! and you can always go to a secondary fuse just test STAY AWAY FROM ANY ECU, ABS, any major mechanical devices stay away from!
Sinceryly,
The Custom Nate

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic