icon

how to get FG look?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
for plastic parts in your car, how would you get the FG look? do you just coat it with resin sand and paint?
xclusivecustoms 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Fiberglass doesn't stick well to plastic. You have to use a special primer and bulldog adhesion promoter to get paint to stick.
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
have any sites where i can order some of that from or where i can get it? what is the product name called?
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

just use primer and paint...

sand the crap out of the plastic first...to remove the majority of the surface bumps in the vinyl stamp...

then if you feel like it you can use a promoter but it is not completely necessary..i have painted plenty of plastic with out it...

wipe the surface clean with alcohol swabs to make sure it is free of oil and dirt...once the alcohol has evaporated you can prime away.

then using a high build etching primer, (Personally i use Proform 649, and have not found a better primer yet, readily available in rattle cans that can be sanded) prime away..sand and prime again..repeat process up to 4 or 600 grit wet sanding until you are happy with the surface...DONT touch it with your bare hands...wear non powdered gloves to touch the surface...

then paint or clear...unless the paint is single stage then you just have to paint...

Fiberglass Guru.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
If you mean like a plastic pillar for instance. You would have to sand it down, and apply some body filler to smooth the surface. Then you can do the other basic steps after, like sanding (fun), prime & paint. You dont necessarily have to use "fiberglass" to have that smooth shiny look. The same goes for dashboards, but some people actually prefer to lay FG mat on the dash. I just think its more work..but thats just my 2 cents! how to get FG look? - Last Post -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2006 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hehehe...i find even adding "filler" to be an extra unnecessary step for a project like this...mind you that does depend on the surface of the part in question...pillars and dash pieces with the speckled finish can just be sanded and primed..and provided the vinyl printed plastics arent cut to deeply you can sand and prime over those too..
Fiberglass Guru.
younguru 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2006 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

All u need to do is sand the crap out of it use a adhesion promoter primer and paint and clear.......u should prolly use a flex additive to ur paint that one way u don't have to worry bout when the plastic flexes (heat cold basic flexing) it won't put any blemishes in ur paint

alex

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic