icon

1996 firebird radio wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
billycunningham 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
i am trying to install an aftermarket radio in a 1996 pontiac firebird. however, there are radio controlls for the volume and stuff on the steering wheel. so that means that there are 2 seperate wiring harnesses on the factory radio: one for the radio itself, and one for the steering wheel controls. i dont know if this contributed to the problem im having, but it might. now on to the PROBLEM, i cant get the brand new panasonic head unit i just bought to work, and i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. thanks, billy.
genehewett 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
  This car has a factory amp. If there are is a set of speakers on each side in the hatch area (one in the panel that covers the spare tire) the amp is located behind the spare tire. If this is the case you will need to buy a 4ch line level adapter to interface with the amps inputs. I think the amp turn on wire at the dash plug is pink but not 100% sure. There is a few brands like PAC that make steering wheel control adapters that let you use them with a lot of aftermarket head-units.
billycunningham 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  
thanks. and how much do those usually go for? would it work if i just hooked up the remote wire on the aftermarket headunit to the one for the factory amp, or maybe if I just didnt use the factory amp and just bypasses the pink wire somehow

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic