icon

viper 791xv 98 trans am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
Things happen, but you'll learn from it. As Chris advise, look through and test every fuse carefully. You may just have miss one.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.viper 791xv 98 trans am - Page 6 - Last Post -- posted image.
Kapedogg 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
I finally did find the fuse.  the ole fuse tester showed it was ok.  It was the "Gauges" fuse in the box on the left of the dashboard.  Thanks for the help guys!
Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  

Viper 791xv on a '98 pontiac trans am.  It works, almost all the time, about 4 out of the 20 times I've tried it, you can hear the starter click a few times and everything shuts down.  The remote indicates it's in remote start mode.  The car has no power to anything at all inside, lights, radio, nothing.  Try starting it with the key, but nothing at all happens, no clicking starter, no juice to anything.  But, I turn on the parking lights, which for whatever reason flips the headlights up, which doesn't normally happen, and the car fires up with or without using the key.  The trip odometer and the cd player are reset, and I have to set all the setting on the cd player again as though I disconnected the battery.  I also have noticed since it happened the first time, the led light stay on constantly when the car is shut off but not while running, the siren does not chirp when arming and disarming and the lights don't flash.  Please someone tell me there is some little secret that links all this together!!!!!!???????!!!!!!

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
The battery.  How old is it?  HAve you repleaced it recently.  I've seen the same sorta propblem in that car when the battery was going bad.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
It's about 1 year old, and holds steady at about 14 volts with the lights on, AC on, and a 5 channel amp pulling max wattage.  I'm going to pull it out this weekend to find out for sure.  If it's toasted, it's time to get an optima.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
The problem may be with your power source. These cars go to sleep within a minute of locking the doors. Many of the battery circuits in the car go to sleep, unless they are required for memory functions. Use the red and RED / white battery wires in the ignition harness for power as they don't go to sleep. To wake the car up, you need to pulse the doorpin and the unlock wires. To disarm the alarm you must do that as well as momentarily activate the VATS interface and pulse the brown accessory wire in the ignition harness with 12 volts. If you are tied into a wrong power wire, the remote starter will try to pull the power backwards through a circuit that can't handle the current demand. This will cause things to lock up or reset.
sparky
Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

I know the car does wake up as needed because the door locks and other accesories function normally regardless of how long the car has sat around.  The VATS pulse is good, but I'll double check which power wires I have tapped everything into. 

What seems so odd is that it works almost all the time.  The alarm itself is good to go, except for what I mentioned above Which started since the first time the remote starter didn't fire the car up.  such as the constant lit LED and the siren not chirping.  I would think if it was an issue regarding the direction power is being pulled through a circuit, this stuff would happen every time. 

chris354 
Silver - Posts: 253
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
The alarm is in valet mode thats why led is solid and no chirps on arm or disarm. That should not cause the car to not start though. On dei alarms you can put them in valet mode with the remote or the valet switch, probally done from remote so you have to take it out from the remote. You will have to open the door then arm, disarm, arm if thats not it then its disarm, arm, disarm.
Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

Got it out of valet mode.  thanks for that one! 

It remote started fine yesterday and again this morning after sitting all night.  I pulled the brain out and found a 10 amp fuse on the white wire had been blown.  I swapped it out, and it remote started fine again and the fuse stayed ok.  I also threw in a new optima red top battery.  Hopefully this solves the mystery.

I also can't get it to go into programming mode so I can turn off the auto locks(almost locked me out several times now. )  Gonna check some more wiring...

Kapedogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  

Everything is working quite nicely, but I can't get it into programming mode to turn off the pesky ignition controlled locks.  I keep locking myself out with them on.  I open the door, ignition on, then off, then press and hold the valet switch, but I never get any chirps. 

I know the valet switch works fine, because it will enter valet mode, which it does everytime I try to get it into programming mode.  I know the door pin is hooked up, because opening the door sets of the alarm when it is armed.  Anybody have an idea?

Page of 6

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic