icon

vw wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jman7695 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

I am working on a VW SuperBeetle that has aftermarket fenders that the customer has purchased. Part of the modification is the consolodation of the separate parking lamp and the turn signal lamp(2 bulbs) have to become one. To complicate things the new casing for both processes only allows a single filament bulb. I need some help with relay setup. Each wire from parking and turn is pos. The turn is flashing. Any help setting up a relay system with both inputs to a single bulb would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

JDm
70% installation, 28% product, 2% luck, try to be the best everytime!
bmwpwner 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
ok, here is what i'm thinking but it is kinda late so double check my theory. if you did a relay for each side then you could have the parking light input on 30 on each relay, a ground on 85, and the turn signal (each side to each relay) to 86, and the output to the single filament bulb to 87a. that way the parking lights would be the normally closed circuit but when the turn signal was applied (normally a pulsed +12 volts) that would open the connection to the parking light and give the desire output of a blinking parking light. that should do it for ya.
"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think."
-Socrates-
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

The single relay mentioned above is only going to work if the parking lights are on. You are going to need two relays for the left side and two relays for the right side to cover both conditions, turn signal with no parking lights on and turn signal with parking lights on.

It would be easier if you could change out the single filament housing or bulb contact pad to a dual filament bulb setup.

Here's the dual relay setup for each side.  Depending on how the turn signals operate thru the steering column, you may need to install a diode inline to prevent voltage backfeeding thru to the turn signal flasher or the parking light circuit.

vw wiring - Last Post -- posted image.

Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

Another option I use on LED lights for parking/turn operation is to use a resistor inline on the parking light input. This will drop the voltage thereby dimming the output for parking light operation. The turn sign output is wired directly to the light with the full 12V supply, which when flashing will make the light appear brighter than the parking light.  You would have to experiment with different ohm resistors to achieve the desired parking light brightness.

vw wiring - Last Post -- posted image.

bmwpwner 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
good call Hoptup32! i didn't realize i suggested using the parking light as an input. oooooooppppppppppssssssssss. sorry about that and good job Hoptup32.
"I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think."
-Socrates-
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2006 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
Why not buy 2 new dual element bulb holders and be done with it?
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic