icon

Shaving on a Eclipse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
notalentkustoms 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
I am currently in the process of shaving the rear windshield wiper and the attena and I worked on it for about an hour today (have a baby) and I want to finish it tomorrow. I was wondering what would be the best way to cover. Its only 2 seperate holes about an inch and a half by an inch and I can't really decide how to cover. I have thought about fiberglassing under the hatch a few layers and bondoing the top sanding then I'm doen but not sure this will work. any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Late, Luna
Owner-No Talent Kustoms
99 Eclipse - Shaving on a Eclipse - Last Post -- posted image.
96 Eclipse - *New Project*
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
If its metal then cut some sheet metal to fit the holes, then use a small magnet rod to hold it in place since u probly cant get behind it, then tack it in place..grind it...fill it. FG wont work too well. I just shaved my trunk after installing an electric locking mechanism this past weekend.
notalentkustoms 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

placid warrior wrote:
If its metal then cut some sheet metal to fit the holes, then use a small magnet rod to hold it in place since u probly cant get behind it, then tack it in place..grind it...fill it. FG wont work too well. I just shaved my trunk after installing an electric locking mechanism this past weekend.

Thanks for the tips do u think spot welding would do the trick? I can get some sheet metal tomorrow and get a wire welder from a friend or better yet get him to come and weld it. lol. Then just fill with bondo? well looks like this might take al il longer than expected but it will be well worth it lol. I wanna shave the trunk latch I just have to replace the shocks on the hatch first lol. Thanks

Late, Luna
Owner-No Talent Kustoms
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
i would do a continuous weld....arc welder will work wire feed mig would be easier
Fiberglass Guru.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
tack welding will be fine as long as u weld, grind then fill the holes and repeat untill u have a solid metal piece, just be careful when u grind so u dont remove too much of the sheet metal and make it too thin or u will burn through it too easily....but if your friend can do solid welds fine then that would be best although it is tricky with some metals. Even Alpine tack welds their shave jobs.
crux131 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

< language=>Wire feed will be way easier, as well as simpler to control the heat( I would think ).

Grind the metal surrounding the holes to remove paint and primer.

Like mentioned above, cut a peice of sheet metal to fill the holes, hold with a magnet, and tack.

Like I have seen in street rod magazines, and my minitruck publications, tack two points across from each other, then let cool.

Repeat this process until it either completely, or almost completely filled.

Then grind the welds. A little at a time. These cars use thin sheet metal, and it is easy to warp from the heat( make sure welder is set to the lowest usable range for the metal being welded ).

This will take some time, but will be worth it due to cutting back the amount of filler needed, and the warpage of the material.

Good luck, just take your time.

My signature here.
notalentkustoms 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2006 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks wire fed welded over all holes today, decided to shave the rear spoiler while I was at it lol....will try and post pics tomorrow. Thanks for the advice
Late, Luna
Owner-No Talent Kustoms

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic