icon

Cable driven door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
datspeed77 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Some of these new cars come with cable driven door locks.  What are you guys doing when having to add actuators?  I've done them in many different ways, just wondering if there's a different actuator for these cars or not.  It takes twice as long to do them with a regular actuator.  Getting fed up with wasting so much time with these types of door locks. 
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on the Vehicle:
You can hook to the Metal Rod from some of the Vehicles that have Rod & Cable
You can hook to Lock mechanism directly in door
MICRO Alarms makes a Cable Lock Bracket # DLWIRE
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
candy&chrome 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
i've figured out the new canyon/colorado, they seem to be pretty nice to do, but the 2001 and up focus and even the old mistique and the contour's have got to be the most challenging, they are do-able, but you're right, the time allowed to do these cars seems to deminish, but then again, in this day and age why are manufacturers selling cars without it? i mean how much can it really cost right? but i guess it protects our jobs..........i find that if i can't figure out a good place in a door or a good connection for the rod, removing the latch completly so i have a good look at the other side(where the dealer would have connected) and take it from there.
canada's cold eh.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Obviously every car can be done, but we basically take them on a case by case basis. Get in there take off the door panel and see whats going on. Rather than go right for the cable itself look at the latch in the door and the handle itself to see if there is an easy way to connect to either of them. I prefer this way over stripping the cable itself. Once you strip that cable and cut the inner layer of metal strands, you will HAVE to come up with something as the OEM cable will no longer work by itself. Here's a cool link showing how to attach to the cable itself:
http://www.a1electric.com/cablelock.htm
Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic