icon

have power but No sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s0c0m_freak 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
so I wired up my stereo and I re-checked the wires a million times and they all match up correctly but Im getting no sound. All the connections are good and the deck works fine, all the functions work, but no sound.
any ideas!?!
also.. what would happen if the wires were crossed. ( + and - instead of + to +)
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged  
if i understood this right,
crossing the wires(speakers)= out of phase.
crossing the wires(electrical)= blowing fuses.
so number 2 isn't your problem, like you said, your deck is working fine, then i think it have to be that your speaker are out of space.
can you explain better, i.e. what HU you have, are you using amps and subs or only HU and speakers?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  
No, the problem you'd get with speakers wired in reverse from each other would be lack of bass.  You'd have sound.  List the make/model car as well as the equipment installed.  You may just need to power up the factory amp (may be labelled power antenna on the metra harness).
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
s0c0m_freak 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1990 jeep wrangler, and I installed all brand new speakers and ran new wires to each. so ive got two Rockford Fosgate FRC4246 4X6's in the dash, and I hung two RF P1694C 6x9's from the roll bar. I also put two RF P110S4 subs in the back that are hooked to a RF P3001 amp. The deck is a Dual XD7600.

I didnt attach the amp and subs becuase i just wanted to make sure that everything was working ok, so I tried running the speakers off of the HU (Head unit?) alone.

I think it might be that Power Antenna wire that you're talking about Greepherder. I Didnt connect that wire to anything becuase its supposed to go to the amp. (and i didnt want to use the amp for the test) If i wasnt going to use an amp at all, would that wire need to be connected to anything?

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Well, if you ran new wires to each speaker from the head unit, then that's not the problem.  Look for something simple (make sure it's not muted, etc.- check your manual for different options).  If you have a speaker wire exposed somewhere that's touching metal, this could send the unit into protect and you'd have no sound (the same goes for a blown speaker as well).  If you're unable to find anything wrong, you could just have a bad unit.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
datspeed77 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Take a DMM and check for continuity on ground.  This will allow you to tell if one of your speakers is grounded out.  Disconnect the head unit from the wires.  Take your metal to ground and probe the speaker wires individually.  If your meter beeps at you.  You know that the speakers are grounded somewhere.  You'll be able to isolate the speaker and check from there.  It'll save you lots of time.  You can also check your speaker output with a inductive amplifier if you have one. 
s0c0m_freak 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

Ive tried everything that the manual recomends for this situation but still nothing. what seems wierd to me is that all 4 speakers dont work. say if only one of them is grounded, shouldnt the other 3 still work?

and sry datspeed77, dont quite understand what you're saying, and I dont have that kind of equipment. Im thinkin of taking the unit down to a stereo store and seeing if they can check it out.

slab42 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
check your speakers, one of the terminals is touching ground.  the fronts are easy to do this to, and if you have the factory sound bar, the terminals on the rears may be touching the frame of the soundbar.  easy way to figure it out, take the deck out, keeping it plugged in and on, and cut one speaker at a time, when the sound comes on on the rest of the speakers, then you found the one that is grounding out.
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
When you first power up the radio, do you hear a speaker pop?  If so then you have a gounded speaker as the others were saying.  Pay close attention to which speaker pops and that will be your problem one.  Cut that wire at the deck and the others should come on.  What your radio is doing is going into protection so that it doesn't burn up.  There isn't  a factory amp in a Wrangler especially that year, so I doubt that is the problem. 
s0c0m_freak 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the help guys, I figured it out and everything works great. have power but No sound - Last Post -- posted image. The front left speaker didnt have a good connection.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic