the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Sound Stage?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't move the tweeter that far away from the mid. You will really mess with your image and you'll have major time alignment issues. Stick with DYohn's recommendation about tweet 4" from mid. Check out this article on SQ system setup. He recommends using mid/tweet in the kickpanels (this is optimal, but isn't for every one) and if you feel like going the extra mile an extra set of tweeters up high:
"Often times, a second tweet will be placed in the A pillar or top of the door (behind the side mirrors in what's called the "sail panel"), but only proper tuning of this tweeter will get the desired results." (From article mentioned)
The purpose of this is to attempt to raise the sound stage closer to eye-level.
However, using door locations for a 6.5" and a tweeter attached to it by radio backstrapping that is angled to the driver will do pretty well if you don't what to do all of this. Similar to this guy, with regard to attaching the tweeter.
Q-form will usually give you better placement than factory locations, but their are some limitations. You will not be able to position them for the best SQ for you. It is optimized for driver and passenger. The lower mid frequencies will be lacking because it only allows you to use a 5.25" woofer and it is open-backed (no enclosure). Some of this can be overcome by sealing the edges. Also, you'll need to coat the insides of it good with sound dampening material because the plastic tends to resonate.
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

My first set of components (JL Audio VR650s) were installed with the mids in the stock locations in the bottom of the doors and the tweeters about 14" to 15" above them in the top of the door panel at dash level.

I HATED this setup.  Even after deadening the doors, making sure that the mids were airtight, and attenuating the tweets to -3dbs, I was still getting very bright highs, a lifeless midrange, and weak midbass.   After running them for a year and trying every tuning trick in the book, I finally gave up and replaced them with a set of CDT EF Neo braxials.   One day of minor tuning later and I was in heaven.

I know a lot of my dissatisfaction with the JL VR650s had to do with the speakers themselves, but I also know that having the tweets so high in the doors and far apart from the mids played a part in it as well.  I doubt I will ever run anything other than braxials again, but if I do, the tweeters will be mounted as close to the mids and as low in the doors as possible.

As far as the soundstage goes, a little rear fill (attenuated WAY below the front stage) raised it up nicely without ruining my imaging.  I really don't feel the need for a second set of tweeters.

gsexer 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Alrighty then.  No more tweets in the dash, just have to figure out how to get the drivers side mids(tweets too) pointed in the area of towards my face and not at my feet.  That E brake pedal kinda gets in the way.  After looking at that install in the link posted above, even if I did surgery on the frame around the kick panel, it would still be close.  The pass side is a no brainer since the angle is less.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic