icon

adding xm antenna internally

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Is there a way or is there any xm antenna that can be installed without drilling a hole through the roof of a car? I want to install an antenna for my xm radio.
thanks
Mark
slab42 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
I have done 100s of XMs with no drilling... not necessary.  run the wire under the rubber gasket around the windshield. and either into the engine compartment and thru a grommit, or thru the door jamb (with a little duct tape to keep it where you want it)
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Does the actual xm antenna get placed on the roof of the car or underside the roof? I am worried that when I go to a carwash, it might break off the xm antenna if it is on the outside.
Thanks
mark
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
It's magnetically held in place, and a very low profile so I doubt it will be ripped off in a car wash.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
You can mount the antenna inside the car. The antenna would need a clear upward view through either the front or rear window. Move it as far away from the roof overhang as possible to give you the best signal from the satellites. It would help to mount the antenna on a small piece of metal to a few inches square to act as a ground plain. The reception may suffer a bit. The signal will be blocked by any window tint either factory or aftermarket and by some windshields which have a very thin metallic film in them such as some older GM minivans and Cadillacs. If you mount the antenna outside, you could use some quality automotive 2 way tape to hold it onto the body panel. Do as the other member suggested and tuck the wire into any trim to obscure it and protect it.
sparky
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
All good advice.  When mounting to the outside, I prefer some silicone over double sided tape to help hold it in place (if you deem it necessary).  That way, the antenna can still use the sheet metal as a ground plane.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Using either silicone or two way tape won't change the ground plain of the antenna. It isn't connected to it in any manner. Silicone can be messy to use. Two way tape from 3M comes off clean and sticks better than anything if both surfaces are clean and warm.
sparky
geepherder 
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
I thought the ground plane was weaker when you seperated the antenna from the metal- I guess not.  I'll have to remember that, thanks!
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
In terms of a antenna that receives signals like a radio or two way radio, yes the ground of the antenna should be connected to the ground plain. In most GPS and satellite antennae there is a thin film of plastic that prevents the magnet from making direct contact to the ground plain. Different systems may vary in this respect. Try different applications first before permanently mounting any antenna. Many satellite radios will work fine in either case.
sparky
geepherder 
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  

That's good to know.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic